Bandmaster Speaker Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aleiberman, Mar 1, 2015.

1. aleiberman

aleiberman Member

A few of you have convinced me to keep my 68 Bandmaster Head.

I currently have THD 2 x 12 cabinet for it, which is really nice. Currently it is loaded with a Weber 12F150 and Cannabis Rex speaker.

I also have a Pro Reverb that is loaded with WGS vintage fender style speakers. G12C and a G12C/S

It seems to me that the speaker combinations are kind of similar between the two amps. The Bandmaster is a bit more bassy due to the Cannabis Rex Speaker. The Weber balances it out I guess.

However, what would you guys recommend for a change in speakers for the 2 x 12 cabinet. I'm thinking a pair of greenbacks or some other celestion flavor. Just not v30's.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

greenbacks. Or, a greenback and a G-12H which has also worked for me.

3. aleiberman

aleiberman Member

Thoughts on the WGS ET-65's?

Little cheaper too

4. aleiberman

aleiberman Member

Any other recommendations on speakers for the bandmaster. Looking for something with more character. The Cannabis Rex and the Weber 12F150 is a bit dull. Need something to bring out some mids.

5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I'm reluctant to recommend anything -it depends on what you want the amp to do.
    I ran mine through a quad of old Greenbacks forever. That smoothed it out some for me, But I played it with a dirt pedal most of the time.
    I gave away the old giant 2x12 Fender cab, that wasn't really my sound, and it sure took up a lot of room!
    A local respected tech suggested running it through a nice 15 to make a vibroclone out of it. Some guys really liked the weber's, so I guess it depends...

6. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Hi

dunno if you need 1 or 2 speakers, but to my surprise my BadCat Celestion (2014 version) 65W speaker sounds very good with my 5F4 Tweed Super clone.

Is the Bandmaster also a Tweed amp ? (yep: prob dumb question, but there you go).
    If it is, a 75 W Blue Dog from Weber is certainly a 'lively-er' option, ie brighter

7. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

68 would be Silverface. They did make Tweed Bandmasters, but I don't think I've ever seen one...

8. aleiberman

aleiberman Member

Mine is 67/68 silverface with blackface circuit.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

Get a 1x15. When I bought my 65 Bandmaster I put together a Mojotone cab with a JBL D130. It sounds awesome, sort of a Vibroverb vibe.

10. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

I suppose it is sacrilege to say this here; I've never heard a Bandmaster in person but the AXE-FX emulation is one of my favourite cleans.