Bandmaster TFL5005d to blackface?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by anais, Dec 27, 2009.

1. anais

anais Member

Is this circuit blackface-able? If so does anyone know of any info on it? I cant find to much about it online.. is it the same as a regular SF bandmaster??

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

They are very different amps. With enough re-working it could be done, but it is probably a lot more work than it would be worth. The TFL version has a tube rectifier, and 6 preamp tubes, while the blackface has a solid state rectifier, and 4 preamp tubes. The power transformers are different. The power supply would have to be modified to match. The preamp section will have to be gutted and reworked and the reverb & trem circuitry removed.

If you really want to do it, just get the two schematics (available many places online for free), and just make the two match.

3. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

ANYTHING can be done if you have(1) time, (2) ability, (3) money. Other than that, WHY? The amps don't sound THAT much different to warrant the hacking of an amp. If you have your heart set on "blacface"- buy one and leave the thing un-molested. Just my 2c worth.

4. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

just take it to ab763 specs. It would basically be a super reverb. Relatively quick and easy.

5. JJman

JJman Member

What does "TFL" stand for?

6. anais

anais Member

Too F**king Loud.:dunno

7. jay42

jay42 Member

That's the numero uno choice for guys who want a VibroClone...i.e. a BF Vibroverb Reverb. Blackface it, get a universal 2/4/8 ohm OT in the Super Reverb size and put it in a head cab, imo.

8. Raybob

Raybob Member

I did it to one and ended up with the AB763 Super-Reverb. The 5005d is the same circuit as a '69 Super-Reverb.
    The SF Bandmaster doesn't have reverb.