Bandmate friction during a gig.... how do you handle it?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Have you ever played a gig where you are fighting with bandmates before you go on and it kind of escalates during the show? I know the pros even go through this from time to time. :messedup

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Any turmoil I have had with band members is left off the stage, and gets dealt with before or after. I think that is part of trying to be a professional player.

Tuberattler

Throw down your guitar across the stage and go at it.. naw.. I just threw it down & quit!! I'll never hear the end of it as I still know those guys..

Bobby D

happened to me on NYE gig!

had a PRO drummer as a sub. guys been on platinum records. and sings GREAT.

he gets an "attitude" during the nite, and UNPLUGS his mic and decided not to sing the rest of the nite.

guess who got DOCKED $200 from their paycheck?

THATS how i handle it. :mad:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I guess it's how mature you are, but my bandmate would hog any solo spot that should be mine, or talk over me if I start to say something in the mic between songs. I'd does tend to piss a person off after a while. :mad:

... and then there are the Axle Rose types :messedup

markw1980

There was turmoil in one of my last bands. The rhythm section would actually bitch at each other on stage. Mostly about the set-list. It got old. How would I handle it? Dunno.

Third Stone

Somewhere I heard the Eagles last show in 1980 (yeah I know they got back together)....anyway I believe Glenn Frey and Don Felder(?) where going back and forth after each song saying, "cool, just 5 more songs til I get to kick your a$$ back stage" "Oh, yeah bring it on!" (would they have said "bring it on" back in 1980?) Anyway you get the picture.

slipbeer

Silver Supporting Member
You can't really fix it on stage but I'd sure be in somebody's grill right afterwards. About the only thing that really gets me mad is when somebody is just being totally unprofessional, like ragging on the crowd or screwing up songs.

My singer steps on my solos sometimes but I know he isn't doing it to hack me off...either he's not paying attention or he's got to pee and wants to get the song over with.

It depends on what's going on though.

When you're playing panty droppin' music, I guess the bulls start knockin' heads sometimes....it's just natural.

Frankenstrat2

Ever play in a band with siblings and watch them fight?
I was in one with twin brothers who literally throttled each other on stage and rolled on the floor in death grip until we broke it up. They used to kick each other hard in the shins if one missed a cue or went off key on a harmony and one of them snapped. Funny looking back on it, but at the time quite disturbing.
In my pro band we never took it onstage, even when there was serious friction and/or personal problems offstage.
In my current hobbyist stage of performance, I would not ever get on stage with anyone I couldn't enjoy playing with and being around. If it ain't fun, I'm not interested. When I play now, I'm the happiest guy in the room.

V-Type

My band has a gig next weekend. Myself and the singer are having issues right now that will probably spill onto the stage.
Our band has a Myspace page and I am the moderator/content adder,etc....
Well my singer thinks he can go on the site without telling anyone and delete and add whatever he wants.
Now if he had a clue on how too spell correctly or how too enhance content rather than just delete it I really wouldnt have a problem.
So Ive had too change the codes and lock him out.
He's crying like a child and he's 35 btw.
The rest of the band decided that he should worry more about practicing his vocals rather than de-promoting our band on myspace.
Seems petty too me but the singer is acting like I took his wife or something. Geeze.

Trending Topics