• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Bands first gig. Any tips?

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
Be nice and courteous to the bar staff. From the stage remind the audience to tip the bar staff. Try to follow the directions of the sound man if they have one. Control the stage volume if required.
Oh and be well rehearsed so you sound well.

sleewell2

get there early

use the same rig you rehearsed with, nothing new day of show

if you have to setup and tear down quickly you should practice this a few times so that you have a good routine

lay everything you need to bring out on your floor before you leave, make a list if you need to and check things off as you pack them

bring backups for almost everything

have fun and stay calm even if something goes wrong, the crowd will most likely only know if you panic and freak out.

sound check is fine but don't noodle or make random noises when you aren't supposed to be

move around and get into the music, no one likes a motionless tree on stage

everyone in the band should keep an eye on everyone's gear

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
House sound? Make friends with the sound guy! ....and make sure there is one! Sometimes "house sound" is just a PA for you to plug into. ;)

Label all your stuff, cables on both ends - Helps with set up.
Take a couple EXTRA of everything!
Extra extension cords - power is always somewhere inconvenient
Know where the breaker box is so you can reset if you pop it
Extra mic cables
Playing on a wireless? New BATTERIES ! and a 1/4 backup on stage and ready to go!

Oh don't forget to HAVE FUN! Audiances will react to YOUR energy. BRING IT! :dude

0_0

Prior to getting there, make sure you have all the right gear with you and everything works fine. Bring extra batteries, duct tape, cables, power strips, drum sticks and spare snare drum head.

Show up early but not too early. Nothing is more boring than sitting around an empty club for two hours before the doors open.

Depending on your personal habits, I'd suggest not drinking or smoking up before the show. Drink lots of water.

Breathe, relax, have fun, and ultimately don't be surprised when something doesn't go according to plan and don't freak out if it does. If the singer knocks over the cymbal stand, everyone is going to see it so just laugh it off and keep soldiering on.

jturner

some advice I've been given over the years:

it's not about how well you play, it's about how you entertain the audience.

Smile.

Slow down & speak clearly.

Don't get too excited and rush the tempo -- the purpose of a song isn't to get to the end. :)

Have a good time, or fake it.

(edit: Congrats!!!)

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Sometimes "house sound" is just a PA for you to plug into.
Local bar that books a band that's playing its very first gig? The above is fairly likely. I recommend checking on that. If that's all they have, bring your own PA gear (and someone to run it, if possible). [Edit: I was thinking Sports Bar type gig. If it's an actual music venue with multi-band bills, then you're probably ok here.]

So many possible tips for the OP. I guess I'd summarize all of my thoughts by saying: Be prepared (all that that entails, including memorizing your music). Be engaging and entertaining.

Oh, dress appropriately, and don't stand there with stiff legs - bend your knees (I'm not kidding about that).

Last edited:

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
get there early

use the same rig you rehearsed with, nothing new day of show

if you have to setup and tear down quickly you should practice this a few times so that you have a good routine

lay everything you need to bring out on your floor before you leave, make a list if you need to and check things off as you pack them

bring backups for almost everything

have fun and stay calm even if something goes wrong, the crowd will most likely only know if you panic and freak out.

sound check is fine but don't noodle or make random noises when you aren't supposed to be

move around and get into the music, no one likes a motionless tree on stage

everyone in the band should keep an eye on everyone's gear

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This exactly. Good luck.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom