Band's Gear stolen at SXSW

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bob Maximus, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

My friend's band JAG had their van windows broken and gear stolen last night. SXSW

https://www.facebook.com/jagmississippi

These are hard working road-dogs and this sucks. If you want to help, contact them on facebook.

2. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

That's a tough way to learn an important lesson.

3. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

What's the lesson? (Asking sincerely)

4. miamimart

miamimart Supporting Member

Don't EVER leave gear unsecured! (Happens all the time here in Chicago)

5. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

Left message on their FB page to post what they lost... I live in ATX and would be more than happy to keep an eye out for the stuff if I knew what to watch for.

6. standard24

standard24 Member

How could this have happened????

In the "I always gig my BEST gear" threads, They've always traveled the world, playing thousands of gigs, and never have anything damaged or stolen!

There must be a mistake....

7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Man, that's brutal.

But I don't understand why people would choose to leave valuable gear —easy to carry items like guitars and amps especially— in a van with windows like that, parked in an area that's unfamiliar [to them], and not worry that something like that might happen.

8. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

SXSW is gaining a rep.

9. Boundcustom

Boundcustom Gold Supporting Member

I get stolen gear reports all the time. 95% of the stuff was stolen while in a vehicle.

I beat this dead horse all the time.

95% of the stolen gear reports I get are about items stolen from a vehicle. If i ever actually talk to the victim they often say it was during load out or when they just ran inside for a second.
    The moral is. Always leave a guard with the gear.

10. sa1126

sa1126 Member

That is crap but not surprising. This stuff probably goes up tenfold around this time.

11. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Thanks man. These are great guys and the band is great too. They toured with Grace Potter last year.

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Post details here in the stolen gear forum.

Good luck in finding the creeps who took it.

13. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

That sucks.

Anytime I've traveled across the country with gear I drag it into the hotel room. A trailer or van just seems to be an obvious target for thieves. Load in/load out can be tricky, but if you have a few people in the band, it can be staged well to avoid unmatched gear.

Lots of desparate people out there willing to snatch anything they can carry. Sad.

14. Neer

Neer Member

Most musical instrument insurance companies won't pay for claims of gear stolen from an unattended vehicle.

15. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

First off, nobody deserves to have their gear purloined, no matter what the circumstances are, however...

...long, long ago, it was keenly forced into my noggin one cardinal rule, which has served me well for the last 40-odd years;

Guitars never, ever ever ever ever ever get left in cars, ever. I've lost count at how many times I've carried 'em into doctor's offices, supermarkets, cinemas, convenience marts, complete strangers homes etc, but never left in cars, even in my own (pretty mofo'ing secure) garage.

I've done other really dumb ****, but not this and so far I've never lost one.

I hope they get their stuff back, 'cause even not being careful doesn't mean you deserve that kind of pain.

16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Well, they never leave their gear unattended.

It's a simple rule, but you'll look long and hard to find a story where someone gets their gear stolen out of a van or hotel room that they're sitting in at the time.

17. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

Truth
    At 3 O'clock in the morning the temptation is always to rationalize that " it's late, I'm tired and it'll be OK"..... DEAD WRONG.
    Always, ALWAYS, no matter how tired you are or how much of a pain in the ass it is, haul your gear out of the van and in to the hotel room.
    NEVER, ever leave your gear unattended as it takes all of a few minutes for it to vanish into the ether.
    Always have at least one band/ crew member on watch at load in/ load out.
    Trust NO situation ever.
    B

QUOTE=smolder;19662918]That sucks.

Anytime I've traveled across the country with gear I drag it into the hotel room. A trailer or van just seems to be an obvious target for thieves. Load in/load out can be tricky, but if you have a few people in the band, it can be staged well to avoid unmatched gear.

Lots of desparate people out there willing to snatch anything they can carry. Sad.[/QUOTE]

18. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

Man, that sucks. We've had stuff stolen as well. It hurts more than the $ lost.

I was playing in LA one night and I was standing out front with the door man and an out of town band rolled up in front. Their van and trailer had been tricked out with the bands name, their picture of them (and their Les Pauls) just a gigantic rolling billboard for their band.

The doorguy and I both had the same reaction: "Man, I guess they haven't had anything stolen yet." And we started coming up with ways to disguise the van and trailer to discourage anyone from wanting to tamper with it.

The two finalists were:

Pest Removal
    Box Spring Delivery

19. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Not advertising the band on the vehicle is a must--just as a well placed "Jesus Saves" bumper sticker on the back makes for a nice smoke screen for law enforcement.

This sucks for JAG. As nice as windows are: having them limo black to blacked out in the cargo area is the first line of defense for peeping thieves since unloading the gear at every stop is not always feasible.

20. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

This is why all of us have CHL's