Band's mikes on a budget

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RaistMagus, Feb 17, 2012.

1. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

Hi guys and gals!

My band needs to be able to set up gigs with our own equipment and we're going to need some microphones. Things are tough around here so costs must be kept low. We play surf instrumentals with 2 guitars, bass, sax, drums.

We're going to need 2 mikes for guitar amps and a set of mikes for the drums. The sax player has one allready and for the bass we'll use the amp's line-out. We do have a console and our aim is to be able to play at clubs/places that only have a PA-speakers system.

In small sized gigs we won't be using mikes, just natural amp sound. Is there any need for miking the drums? We've done it once without mikes on drums and we were told the sound was very good, but I can't be sure 'cause I wasn't on the recieving side of the sound.

How many mikes is the minimum we can use for the drums and how should we position them?

Could you tell me some specific mike models to consider for drums and guitars?

Thanks in advace!

2. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

I know you're on a budget, but I would consider some sennheiser e609s for the guitars, partly because they're not likely to crap out on you compared to a cheaper mic and you won't have the extra cost and hassle of a mic stand cause you just hang them over the amp.

Drums, if it's a small club you probably won't need them mic'd, maybe the kick drum if you need something extra, but that's about it. How loud is your drummer? I ask this because I know my drummer could play most places under 250 people unmic'd, but he has a large kit (a mapex take on a bonham sized kit) and he hits the skins hard. A softer drummer mightn't get away with it.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Really on a budget? EV PL44 at $30. Next up Shure SM57s (intrument and vocals), SM58s (vocals), EV PL80s (both) all under a bill. Then the sky is the limit.

Drums - micing full kit - 3 mics - 2 overheads and 1 bass. Or 1 mic - just bass drum.

Much better to mic a good drummer with a light touch than try to get all the drum volume by hitting hard. Too much stage volume can kill the mix.

hunter

4. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Agree with the e609 for the guitars, good call on that DI for bass.

For vocals Sennheiser E835 would be my pic over SM58/57 (but that's just preference).

For small rooms you only really to mic the kick drum.

Be sure to buy an extra SM57 to keep as a backup as well as extra XLRs cables

5. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

We have had good luck with the digital research dvr100 mics from guitar center for cheap utility mics. They are basically sm58 knockoffs made for them by at. They normally go for $50 each but a couple times a year they go on sale for 3 for $50. They are decent live sound mics and for the sale price you can't beat them. Just another option for you.

6. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

Thanks guys! I'll do a small research on your suggestions and I'll be back with more questions :)

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Three Shure SM57s. One Samson Q Kick on the cheap, Audix D6 for more.

For the drums, make sure the kit is tuned well, and try to muffle any overtones for best micing results. Place the kick drum mic just inside the front head through the port. Point torwards the batter head for more of an upfront kick sound. Move the mic around till it sounds good. This is the biggest part of getting a good sound.

For the snare, point an sm57 at the middle of the snare, just peaking out over the top. Try to position the mic so it is not in the way of the drummer. Again, move it around till it sounds good.

For the guitar speakers you want to be pointing at the outer edge of the speaker cone. Everyone has a preferred method, you can google "guitar micing" for some great positioning ideas.

Get good cables too. Audiophile has quality stuff for a good price.

Hope this helps.

dk

8. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Member

I can't find anything related to a 'digital research dvr100' microphone on the net. Is the spelling correct?

9. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I'm a Sennheiser fan as well and prefer the 609 for guitar (also saves the cost of a cab mic stand) and the 835 is a nice sounding, slightly clearer-sounding (I think) alternative to the SM58.

D6 is my fave kick mic.

Of course you can't go wrong with 57s for guitars and 58s for vox. (not the greatest, but standards)

*eBay is a good place to look for very affordable, new XLR mic cable packs.

11. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Anywhere you would use a 57 or 58, a samson r-11 will work nicely.
    You can get a 3 pack for $60-$70.

They sound way better than the price would indicate & they're durable.
    The first 3 pack I bought is coming up on 10 years old
    now & they're still going strong. I've used them on horns, guitar amps, vocals, & snare live.

12. lord preset

lord preset Member

13. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

57's all around.

14. mthomps

mthomps Member

We have four 57's now and one 58. I LOVE them!

They also make GREAT hammers.:sarcasm

15. johnfv

johnfv Member

The SM57 is hard to beat - works well on pretty much anything and is one of *the best* mics for things like snare drum and guitar amps. For cheap drum mics, we got this budget CAD set for recording rehearsals and have had surprisingly good results for kick and toms (the kick mic is a little dark sounding but a little EQ can make it quite good): www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cad-premium-4-piece-drum-microphone-pack

16. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

If you want good XLR cables on a budget, GLS audio makes a 10-pack of 25' cables for $79, which are a steal. I've been using 30 of these cables for over 4 years and have NEVER had one go bad. Much better than trying to make it work with Musician's Gear brand from MF. Usually a 10-pack of those yields 1-2 broken cables right out of the box!

17. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

^^^ there's nothing in that CAD pack that a 57 can't do better. srsly. even for the kick, a 57 is a better choice than a cheap ass CAD.

18. mthomps

mthomps Member

If you buy 57's you will also have them down the road when you want better mics for recording. You won't have to upgrade. Just by 'em now and you will always have them handy every step of the way.

19. johnfv

johnfv Member

Like I said I am a big fan of the 57; probably the best bang for the buck of any mic. If the OP can fit that in the budget, that is money well spent (I have some that are 30 years old and still sound great). That said, the $149 CAD set was a pleasant surprise. Here is a live garage recording of a jam using those cheap ass CAD mics (with a pair of cheap ass Behringer mics for overheads): http://johnviehweg.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BoogieMenTestShort.mp3

20. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

As a Shure dealer, I made sure Shure corporate office was aware of these knockoff mics...so if you want them, I'd suggest getting them now before they get sent a cease and desist letter from Shure. I hate knockoffs. They do nothing but devalue the worlds greatest mic. And generally speaking, they sound like turd.