• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Bands / songs using a Vox Tone bender ?

Nico13

Looking for how a Vox Tone Bender sounds like I would like to know if anybody could name bands / songs using this 2 transistor unit.

Nico13

Is this a Vox Tone Bender next to Robbie Krieger's shadow on this picture from The Doors live ?

jgyn

I don't know what was actually used, but my Baja Tech Bone Bender, which's a Vox TB clone, sounds like the guitar on Donovan's 'Hurdy Gurdy'.

Nico13

On the Baja Tech page they say The Bone Bender is a Vox TB replica as used by Mick Ronson and The Yardbirds but they're known for their use of a Gary Hurst MKI Tone Bender (3 transistors) and not of a VOX Tone Bender. A lot pictures already prooved this fact.

moodog

The Gary Hurst MKI was a reissue of the original Tone Bender (made by Sola Sound, Gary Hurst). And the reissue was a two transistor version not a three. The three transistor housing, gold folded, was also used for the later two transistor for a very short period, MK1.5 not to be confused with the reissue two transistor as they are not the same. If it is the old gold folded MKI housing but does not sound like a Fuzztone it is most likely a transition box with the MK1.5 two transistor circuit in it. So it's possible they're claiming that they used this version? I know that the Yardbirds used all sorts of fuzzes over the years depending on who was at the helm, I'm not sure about Ronson.

moodog

Do you know some good examples of an original Vox Tonebender sounding ?
There have been claims that Keef used it on 'Satisfaction' but that's pretty much off the radar. It is most likely he used a Fuzztone which the MKI is a clone of.

Jumblefingers

All the fuzz sounds on Led Zeppein I and II as far as I know...think that was a MKII which was (3) transistors. My D*A*M MkII sure can cop those sounds....should considering it cost me my first born!:D

JLee

Gold Supporting Member
The Gary Hurst MKI was a reissue of the original Tone Bender (made by Sola Sound, Gary Hurst). And the reissue was a two transistor version not a three. The three transistor housing, gold folded, was also used for the later two transistor for a very short period, MK1.5 not to be confused with the reissue two transistor as they are not the same. If it is the old gold folded MKI housing but does not sound like a Fuzztone it is most likely a transition box with the MK1.5 two transistor circuit in it. So it's possible they're claiming that they used this version? I know that the Yardbirds used all sorts of fuzzes over the years depending on who was at the helm, I'm not sure about Ronson.
:confused: The Gary Hurst MKI is the 1st incarnation of the Tonebender! Originally housed in a wooden enclosure with a 3 transistor circuit and hand assembled by Hurst himself. He was asked by a British session guitarist to improve upon the Maestro Fuzztone by adding more sustain. He soon switched to the gold finished folded metal enclosure. Solasound then took over production even using the same style enclosure. Then for whatever reason, they released the Tonebender MK1.5 circuit with only 2 transistors. This was housed in a silver MKII style enclosure. This was the pedal used as the basis for the Colorsound/Macari MKII RI. This circuit was soon replaced with the 3 transistor MKII. The reissue Hurst Tonebenders you see from Musicground and Ebay are essentially 3 transistor MKII circuits and voiced closer to a Supa Fuzz.

Nico13

AbbeSauniere

What do you know about the Vox Tonebender story? Was it the same circuit as the Tonebender MK1.5 ?

The story of Tonebenders must be difficult to follow with all these different circuits inside the same kind of enclosures and same circuit in different enclosures.

JLee

Gold Supporting Member
Don't know much about the Vox Tonebenders unfortunately. They may be able to help you on the D*A*M Stompboxes Forum, especially David Main. His 1966 is a Vox Tonebender replica.

moodog

:confused: The Gary Hurst MKI is the 1st incarnation of the Tonebender!
The Gary Hurst pedal was refurring to is the reissue of the same name.

Then for whatever reason, they released the Tonebender MK1.5 circuit with only 2 transistors.This was housed in a silver MKII style enclosure
And just prior to the MKII style housing some of those made it in the gold folded housing.

He was asked by a British session guitarist to improve upon the Maestro Fuzztone by adding more sustain.
I've read this to. I don't know how he improved on it they sound almost identical. Maybe you get all that sustain from the 9 volt battery over AA's? :rotflmao

anibas

For a real cool example of the 2 knob Vox in action,check out Neil Young's "I've Been Waiting for You"-now's that's a great fuzz tone,IMO.Jimmy Page's playing&tone on "Hurdy Gurdy Man" slays too,whatever box he was using.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom