Bands That Changed Drastically After Their First Album

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Stone Roses - first album was chimey powerpop.
2nd album was Led Zep wannabe.

The 2nd record has always just sounded like a collection of guitar jams to me.

Not a complaint, I dig it, but that's what it feels like to me.

sanvandur

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Cocteau Twins
Iron Maiden
Goldfrapp
King Crimson
Queen
Soda Stereo
Beastie Boys

Last edited:

andvari7

Faith No More - 'Introduce Yourself' to 'The Real Thing' was a huge step up replacing Chuck Mosley with Mike Patton.

Jane's Addiction - S/T debut wasn't so much an album as it was a compilation with a mix of live and studio tracks. 'Nothing's Shocking' followed and that was a major improvement for them as far as their sound and songwriting.
Introduce Yourself was Faith No More’s second album. We Care A Lot was first, and there wasn’t a radical change between the two.

But GWAR is a correct answer. Hell-O! to Scumdogs Of The Universe was a significant change, from a Mentors knock-off, to an early 1990s metal classic.

Combustible Edison

"Schizophonic" is much harsher-sounding and more electronic / space-age than the thoroughly smoky-lounge debut "I, Swinger" ; has a completely different vibe in general

MBT74

Stone Roses - first album was chimey powerpop.
2nd album was Led Zep wannabe.

The reason for the change in both the Stone Roses and Oasis sound between the first and second albums is the same. The guitarists in both bands were doing a shed load of cocaine during the recording of those second albums.

Top Bottom