Bands that you really didn't care for at all early on but maybe years later realized how incredibly talented and brilliant they were ...

motokev

Bands that you really didn't care for at all early on but maybe years later realized how incredibly talented and brilliant they were ...

good question....

Deep Purple :bow

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Gold Supporting Member
Sonic Youth.

Evol was a swift kick to the groin of my classic rock sensabilities when I was exposed to it in the early '80s during freshman year at the Univ. of Florida. Once I succumbed, they became one of my very favorite bands. Same could be said for the Butthole Surfers and Meat Puppets for that matter.

phillybri

Bands/Artists I did not appreciate until I got older:

Steely Dan
Toto
The Cars
Squeeze
Warren Zevon
INXS

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
I could not stand the Grateful Dead for the longest time, but hearing some of their live stuff later on I came to realize that they were a pretty killer band.

More recently - I ignored Local H after not being knocked out by 'Bound For The Floor.' Then I saw them open for Soul Asylum just before Covid hit and they blew me out of my shoes. All that sound coming out of two guys was almost too much to take in.

Sacrifice

Led Zep actually. Liked them ok early on, but no huge amount of love like everyone else. Then I started playing and it all changed. The amount of talent in that one band is insane.

Mangy71

Silver Supporting Member
Agree.

But.... that first album's vocals were way over done to sound like Eddie Vedder. All of a sudden on the second record he sounded different, like his mouth had recovered from being at the dentist on the first recording. But, at that point, it was too easy to lump them in with the Bush, Staind and the rest of the "me too" bands that came in the wake of grunge.

You need to pretend the Core album never came out and listen to them as not part of a series of rock bands signed in the grunge era but as a stand alone rock band.

If Plush was the only song you heard from Core, then I can kinda get the Vedder comparison, but the rest of that album kicked ass, and I don’t think he sounded like Vedder.

STP was also way heavier than PJ. PJ would have never done something like this:

M

Member 245044

A few things I bought, and initially hated, were Teenage Fanclub (I actually returned the CD, and eventually repurchased it). I hated the Pixies when I first heard them, but love them now. I'd only heard Roxy Music's poppier hits, and was indifferent, but a girl in college gave me a cassette of Viva! and was floored.

Go Cat Go!!

Huey Lewis and the News. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

Oh please don't have your living room covered in plastic and have someone tied to a chair! Please!

claudel

Huey Lewis and the News. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

I think that the band timelines might have gone something like this

Clover > The News > The Attractions, give or take a few members

Which would explain some of the similarities

For a while in the late 70's/early 80's Huey & The News were gigging a lot in the SF Bay area clubs...

That's how to gen up a tight live act...

Gearboxx

Gold Supporting Member
Oasis.

In '94 I didn't get the fuss. As time has gone on they have become one of my favorite bands. Top 3.

mikebat

If Plush was the only song you heard from Core, then I can kinda get the Vedder comparison, but the rest of that album kicked ass, and I don’t think he sounded like Vedder.

STP was also way heavier than PJ. PJ would have never done something like this:

I heard it cover to cover. I was working in the industry when it was released and marketed.

If you don't hear the vocal affectations, we will disagree.

In my opinion, they came into their own after that record.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom