Bands who have released alarming number of best of compilations ?

BryanMatthews

I was looking over the entire discography of one of my all time favorite bands , ZZ Top , and I was aghast when I saw just how many best of compilations this band have released .

Any other bands that have coined in by releasing lots and lots of best of compilations ?

For some reason a lot of hair metal bands have released a ton of compilations. Take Motley Crue for example, they have 9 studio albums and 6 compilations. Most of those compilations must be identical. Poison is worse actually, 8 studio to 6 compilations.

monty

Love 'em, but Alice In Chains had as many compilations as full length albums with Layne.

JPF

Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, Santana and Tom Petty have beebread, er, thorough in that department.

RockManDan

what happens is a band has a few good albums and then a rough patch and the lead singer quits or something. the label, wanting to make a few extra bones, decides to release a hits album spanning those few albums.

2 years later lo and behold the band gets back together and has a comeback and a hit single....this is followed by another album and a song featured in a movie....maybe a cover of an old classic. They begin to work on even more stuff then the bass player dies or goes into rehab....they release yet another comp cd including a few new tracks.

I would also add that the scorpions have a million comp cds. some are double...some are just their 80's output...some are all-ballads....some are all-rockers....

TwoTubMan

Jefferson Airplane has about 3 dozen "Best Of" releases that I know of, Hawkwind has about 600.

Trending Topics