Bands without a bassist

burningyen

I was in that situation a couple of years ago, just me on vocals and guitar, with a drummer. I found I just didn't have enough time and energy to sustain being the source of all harmonic content and ideas. If I were doing music full-time and could really dedicate myself to the challenge, it would be a ton of fun. Musically I ended up using a lot of octave-down sounds, and tailoring my playing and arrangements so that the octave-down effect wasn't too garbled. Here's one instrumental demo from that project:

http://burningyen.com/track/walkie-talkie

Last edited:

barosborough

Thanks for that. It's been ages since I caught up with them, and it's good to see they still deliver.
No problem. I'd check out there new album. I think it's there best. 9 days till the show. So excited. They are so fun live. Adam is about 5 feet of pure energy.

mikendzel

A couple of friends have a 2 piece, drum & guitar band called Ryful. They're REALLY good as a 2 piece, and recently have been opening for a lot of (former) national acts; Scott Weiland, Third Eye Blind, etc...

I run a rig with a Strat, where the middle pickup has only 2 poles in it and runs to a separate jack->Octave->Bass rig. That way only Low E and A go through the bass amp. Takes some adjusting, but our trio (2 gtrs, drums) sounds like a REALLY tight 4 piece, and you have the option of just playing basslines, just guitar, or both together, and of course single note riffs sound super tight.

kak1154

We got a cello player instead. Good upright bass players are even harder to find than regular bass players!

paranoid70

I saw a band in the late 80s called 'House of Freaks'. It was two guys - guitar/vocals and a drummer. They were pretty decent and had a few albums. I later found out that my friends brother was their producer (or something).

clintb

The B-52s didn't have one before their guitarist (Ricky Wilson) died.

I guess that is why he tuned his guitar kind of weird.
From Wikipedia:
What was perhaps Wilson's most salient features among guitar aficionados was the creation of his own open tunings. Grouping the strings of his Mosrite guitar into a bass course (usually tuned to fifths for strumming) and a treble course (often tuned in unison), he removed the middle two strings from his playing entirely, although he sometimes played with five strings as well. As the band did not have a bassist originally, Wilson unified his tunings with a keyboard bass played by keyboardist/vocalist Kate Pierson, creating a solid rock and roll sound without a bass guitar.

smj

Chris Potter had a band sans bass a few years back... I believe his album "Lift" is from that era.

When I went to see the show... I found myself craving a bass player to anchor the whole thing... though the playing was tremendous.

Sean Meredith-Jones
www.seanmeredithjones.com

Trending Topics