Bands you shouldn't like, but secretly do

Chipps

OK, in response to the fine 'Bands you're supposed to like but don't' thread... how about bands that are dismissed by your peers, but who you have a huge and secret admiration for?

I've always been a huge Dire Straits fan. They're dismissed by many, but what tunes and tones! And some killer rhythm guitar too underneath Knopfler.

More modern stuff? For me, The 1975 - fantastic pop tunes, some great guitar licks and an awareness that they're a pop band doing pop songs on guitar. I'll add Hard Fi too - again, catchy riffs, good tunes.

CWN

Not a guitar band at all and I know I'm not supposed to like them, but for me it's Dead or Alive. I guess they just hit me at the right time/emotions/etc. in the 80s and I still like them. They definitely have songs that haven't aged well but there are others that I never seem to get sick of. Yes I am embarrassed.

Last edited:

Jayyj

Supporting Member
I've never been able to win with this stuff. When I was an indie kid my more eclectic taste got a pass but I had to constantly apologise for my love of classic guitar rock. When I moved into americana and alt country circles, classic rock was suddenly fine but being an indie kid who liked pop, rave and drum n bass caused a lot of arched eyebrows. Onward into experimental noise and ambient territory and the EDM stuff was fine again but my love of classic guitar rock and indie was suddenly back to being a cause for disapproval. Meanwhile, TGP are A-OK with the classic rock stuff and more or less turn a blind eye to the indie but the EDM and pop is back in the firing line and the experimental stuff meets with a certain skepticism.

At a certain point you end up just saying look, this is my taste in music, if you have a problem with any of it then it is your problem!

GulfportBound

Some even say you shouldn't really still like the blues, but I got that bite since I was fourteen and I've refused to have the teeth extracted.

Some say you shouldn't still like classic 1950s R&B harmony---a.k.a. doo-wop---but I've loved it for decades and still do.

Some say you shouldn't like jazz or other freewheeling improvisational music but I'll never stop loving it.

orourke

I'm a 63 year old rocker and I admit to really liking some current pop music. I got obsessed with Rosalia/J.Balvin's mega latin hit Con Altura, there's a ton of Miley Cyrus tunes that I love, I'm crazy about a lot of Sofi Tukker's music and Meghan Trainor has a few hits that I really like. I don't think I could sit and listen to a full album of any of these artists the way I love my old Bowie and Stones records, but as singles they really appeal to me.

Personally I really don't give a crap what anyone thinks about what I like. At my age I'm amazed that anyone is making any new music I could stand to listen to.

wire-n-wood

Supporting Member
who on earth dismisses dire straits?!?!
Not sure what generation you're in... but I was an 80s teen, and Dire Straits was my band. My friends and I had all the albums... and it was kind of our tribe. But I was dismissive of U2. (Honestly, just stupid teenage tribalism.) I now love both bands. But in those days, the U2 guys did not rate Dire Straits, and visa versa.

Chipps

I was an 80s teen too, and Dire Straits was my band too - and lots of people at school liked them. Then I went to college and it was suddenly supercool indie bands that were in - Wonderstuff, Wedding Present and all the Manchester scene, which I never really gelled with. I got into blues then and missed most of the nineties popular stuff as I went down the blues rabbit hole

fool

Uncouth Savage
Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about what I should or shouldn't like. I think there are a lot of popular and semi-popular bands that it is in-fashion to be dismissive of. Some of it I enjoy. There is a lot of music that could be perceived as not being consistent with my cultural background. Some of it I enjoy. Music is a bit of a journey to me and I like to travel around.

Trending Topics