Bands you thought would make it but didn’t

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Laketta, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JukeBoxRat

JukeBoxRat Member

Remy Shand. Amazing debut album, couple of well-played singles. Basically a one man band like a mellower, reggae soul Lenny Kravitz. Then he dropped off the face of the earth.

2. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Cry of love and Brother Kane were both awesome, saw them both live and stellar shows! Badlands was amazing too! Still listen to them a lot.

wetordry likes this.
  3. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Our symphony did a Zeppelin show a few months ago with Randy singing and George playing guitar, absolutely stellar on every level!

4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Love his version of Freddie's " Palace Of The King ". The whole CD
    is quite good , actually... :cool:

5. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Saw the Good Rats open for Iggy & Stooges at an LI club during the Raw Power era. talk about a mixed metaphor

6. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Just saw this. Awesome thanks man. Checking it out right now. Yep, 2nd record was good as well. I was more thinking along the lines of how they weren't playing shows/I fully expected to start seeing them at bigger places etc.(the couple places I saw them were pretty much bars).

I prob. found them a couple years after Clutch(just saw them for prob. the 40th? time a couple weeks ago). That's another band I think should be way bigger than they are too--but still in a smaller venue(RamsHead) although they've finally been getting more recognition in the last 10yrs or so. To their credit they've just kept at it. Not always the easiest thing for bands to do lol.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  7. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

Just another in a line of brother bands that couldn’t get along and had great potential. Some great songs, shoulda been huge.

8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say they didn't make it, but I remember spending much of the 90s thinking each Afghan Whigs release was going to be the one to propel them into the big leagues.

B Money, hube, drlucky and 1 other person like this.
  9. dez

dez Member

Cant think of any bands I thought would make it but didnt. But there were two I was sure wouldnt go anywhere after seeing them live -

Saw Bon Jovi open for Scorpions at Madison Square Garden in 1984 and thought they were the worst band I ever saw, thought their presentation and songs were completely ridiculous and thought that they would go nowhere. Scorpions were as good as any band who ever took a stage.

Saw Soundgarden open for Neil Young (w/Booker T and the MGs were his band) at Garden State Arts Center in August 1993. Made Bon Jovi look good. Still the worst band I ever saw live. Neil and Booker T were perfect. I still hear Mr Soul the way they did it that night and prefer that version which I heard once to the Buffalo Springfield original which I heard a million times.

Never became a fan of either band, but at least I know I would have been the worst A&R person in history.

drlucky likes this.
  10. Max iokua

Max iokua Member

SuperGroove from New Zealand. 90s band melting funk, rap, soul and rock together and their live performances were fantastic. Unfortunately their debut record made them sound like some kind of low-budget Red Hot Chilli Pepper sound-alikes. They had so much more going on. If their first album had been a dictaphone recording of one of their live shows it would have served them better. They were well-liked in NZ. 2 vocalists, a great (and somewhat acrobatic) horn section, solid rhythm section and very talented guitarist also. High energy feelgood vibes all around.

11. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

SuperDeluxe

Owsley

Giant

drlucky likes this.
  12. Spudman

Spudman Member

Um, dying pretty much killed Kevin's career. No doubt if he was still alive he would still be making hits (like he did for Cheryl Crow).

13. Spudman

Spudman Member

Reggie Knighton. He had two really good albums. This one is a real treasure. This came out back in the late 70s and every song on it is good. A real gem.
    I just found out that Brian Ray (Paul McCartney) is the guitarist on this. Cool!

Spooky Action likes this.
  14. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

I think he should be a household name I think he's that great. It's better than him having to work a regular job I suppose.

15. charliechitlins

charliechitlins Member

There is a VERY small handful of household names with guitars.
    Robin Trower? Albert Lee? Mick Ralphs? Mick Ronson? Mick Taylor? Billy Gibbons, even....I'd guess no.
    Well...I guess it depends on the household.
    Hell...how many people know who Peter Green is?

16. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

At first I thought you meant Brian Ray was Paul McCartney. McC does have a history of going incognito on projects. Brian Ray is good and the playing on this nice. Anyway, This stuff is very good.

Spudman likes this.
  17. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

Tonio K was great but I didn't think he'd be big. His music was clever and his lyrics intelligent and he was nonchalant about sex. How was that going to compete with Cherry Pie and Hot for Teacher? He's the antibombast. But he's great and here's one of my favorites:

Bill Mallonee / Vigilantes of Love had a similar problem, some extraordinary songs with amazing turns of phrase and a moral compass, but never really busted out of the club-sized world. Should have, if life was fair, but it isn't.

drlucky and mycroftxxx like this.
  18. Jimmy 3

Jimmy 3 Member

George does these Symphony shows across the US and when doing LZ, Randy's usually the singer. They are awesome. Very blessed to have George as my teacher!

Spooky Action likes this.
  19. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Love this thread! So many good bands I either forgot about or never knew. Thanks!

Here are a few I thought would be "bigger" or are underappreciated IMO:

Sparta
    I saw them open for Pearl Jam and was blown away. Wiretap scars is a very good album

Under the influence of giants
    Their only album is awesome - every song is a winner. They did pretty well in the end though, most o the members went on to form AWOLNATION

Afghan Whigs

20. h-pr

h-pr Member

Th' Faith Healers. A tight, motorik-propulsed punkish band from London, early 1990s. At the time, PJ Harvey, Stereolab and Moonshake were their support bands. The support bands became famous, they didn't and called it quits after two albums.

drlucky likes this.