Bands you thought would make it but didn’t

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Laketta, Jan 1, 2019.

1. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I know Steve Stevens has a pretty big career as a guitarist with Billy Idol and playing with MJ and his other side gigs, well, and a grammy for Top Gun, but it's funny after his 1st solo album, which I loved, I would have thought he might have made it as the leader of his own band, and just sang, I actually liked his singing better on that album, than the guy who sang, and I know he said in interviews they sort of clashed and that's why it never went anywhere:
    [​IMG]
    And of course I've said this before, I always sort of dreamed that both Allan Holdsworth and Danny Gatton would have been able to find a more commercial band to take part in and contribute to, that would have subsidized their careers, so that in off times, they could just do their little thing...

2. DaveLizmi

DaveLizmi Member

Actually, our singer was hit by a drunk driver.

HoboMan likes this.
  3. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

4. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I love the Four Horsemen. I'm lucky enough to have the first CD. I think it's out of print now.

I can't see the vids as I am at work and they are blocked. Badlands would have bee a supergroup if thr singer had not passed away.

From the New York tristate area TT Quick should have been humongous! The guitar player was fantastic. I never missed them when they played LaMours.

DaveLizmi likes this.
  5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I bought a 45 in 1972 of a song I heard on the radio called "Cheer". I listened to the flip side ( as most of us always did) and there was a song called Chattannoga" on it.
    Previously the same band, in 1970 if I remember, had a song that barely made it on the charts called "Riverboat".
    I don't really remember thinking at the time " these guys outta be HUGE", but back then there were just so many great songs on the radio by bands that came and went, I don't think anyone really gave that much thought.

But decades later I found a Potliquor album at a vinyl show and listened to it, and was blown away by the huge talent and great sound the band had.
    I've got all of their albums on vinyl, and wish I had CDs of them ( I actually put them all on DAT tape and then recorded CDs of them from DAT, but I wish there had been factory CDs made of them).
    The only album I don't like is the last one, but it was by then a different band.
    I would suggest to anyone who is into rock era music to check out any Potliquor you can find.
    That was just flat out one badass band. Great vocals, great guitar licks, jamming rhythm section.
    The guy that was the lead singer , I think his last name on the albums was Ratzlaff,
    has a different last name now ( I assume Ratzlaff was a stage name) and if I remember right I found out he is doing Christian music in Florida.
    I would really like to meet the guitarist in Potliquor, just to tell him how much I like his playing.
    Chances are the masters might not exist to their music now, they was on the Janus label, which I think went defunct years ago.
    But hopefully their albums are floating around out there in used bins.

6. Zappatalist

Zappatalist Supporting Member

Dreadnaught. No idea how I came upon them, but these guys are gnarly:

I mean, I get why they didn't get to be like Justin Timberlake famous, but literally no one I've ever talked to has heard of these guys. From NH, I think?

No affliation, but if you enjoy prog/post-rock, you'll probably dig 'em.

https://www.dreadnaughtrock.com/

DaveLizmi likes this.