Bands you thought would make it but didn’t

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Laketta, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Headshok

Headshok Member

Brother Kane was local and the guitarists, Damon Johnson was a area wide phenom at the time. A side note, he actually hooked up with Stephen Haymen of "Heavy Pettn" from Scotland to record a few Japanese releases (due to recording obligations Haymen had). Their band name was "Chyld". I worked with Stephen selling cars for a long time and man, could he tell some stories. Rags to riches and back to rags is an understatement. Grunge killed them off at the time. Stephen is the singer for the band.

wetordry likes this.
  2. gennation

gennation Member

Nice! In the early 80s we used to travel to Chicago to see them, The Kind, and Scraps play. We were friends with some of them.

Around maybe 2008 I was in Chicago doing a business acquisition and there was a street party one evening in the business’s neighborhood and Off Broadway was playing there. It had been decades since seeing them, so it was really fun. I was there on business so I only caught a few tunes and didn’t get to talk to them. But man, what a blast from the past!

My contribution the the thead is...I was hoping for more out of Greta Van Fleet’s second album. It giving them more success is very surprising. I took nothing from it. It’s worst than a later day Foo Fighters album.

3. gpasq

gpasq Member

Zebra was the first one I thought of... came here to post, and there it was, first band in the first message.

4. RedneckDerek

RedneckDerek Member

5. gpasq

gpasq Member

Here are a couple recent ones. I LOVE the production on the SomeKindaWonderfull track.

And I completely understand the lyric "But I'm tantalized by their legs and long hair."

6. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I really loved this band Lustre when they put their one and only album out in 1996. I would describe them as a combination of the noise rock by bands such as Sonic Youth and good, old-fashioned meat-and-potatoes rock and roll.

7. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I never heard of Kim Mitchell until last year when I heard Go For Soda for the 1st time. Great tune!

8. charliechitlins

charliechitlins Member

He's part of Clapton's inner circle. I think he's made it.

drlucky likes this.
  9. drlucky

drlucky Member

The mighty Beat Farmers. My old band The Brodies opened for these guys a few times back in the day. Always thought they shoulda been big, but it never happened. RIP Country Dick Montana...save a place at the bar for me...

A-Bone likes this.
  10. McRider

McRider Member

Reddy Teddy out of Boston in the 70's was a killer band as was NYC's The Dictators.

11. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

Big Head Todd and the Monsters still plays and has a loyal following so I would say they've made it, just not the bigtime.

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

At least Clapton hires him to tour.

He’s similar to Ian Thornley. Immense talent but not a lot of commercial appeal. We don’t live in a time where playing incredible guitar parts with great tone and feel sells records anymore. Same with guys like Joey Landreth and Blake Mills.

JiveJust likes this.
  13. MattC

MattC Member

Some great blasts from the past here, especially from the late 80s and 90s. Thanks to whoever posted Geggy Tah — totally forgot about those guys. So funky and good.

A younger band that I thought could’ve taken off big by now is The Wild Feathers. Tons of talent, with lots of classic/southern rock roots and enough of a modern bent/look to get big today (or so I thought). They still could...

As for an older act, I’ve always been a little surprised Harem Scarem didn’t make it bigger. Unbelievable vocal talent in that group and Pete Lesperance can play his ass off. I think they came a few years too late to the scene for their arena rock style.

14. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

My vote goes to Lion.
    Doug Aldrich on guitars, and Kal Swann on vocals.(dude could belt)
    “Dangerous Attraction” and “Trouble In Angel City” were really good ‘80s hard rock albums.

15. 8len8

8len8 Member

To me their songs were good but lacking something - maybe production?

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  16. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

I forgot about The Good Rats. Along with bands like Zebra and Twisted Sister, they were big in the NJ/Long Island scene in the late '70s and early '80s. But unlike those bands, they went nowhere.

17. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

I really don't know anything about The Beat Farmers, but my cover band plays "Gun Sale at the Church", because our former drummer brought it to us. I think it is one of the most brilliant songs ever.

drlucky likes this.
  18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Toy Matinee / Kevin Gilbert

WordMan, ChazMania and tribalfusion like this.
  19. gennation

gennation Member

That’ll go over like a lead balloon...