Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

Kurt Leege

Some of my most memorable online experiences (youtube) involve discovering previously undiscovered Hendrix tunes.

I've personally never heard a bad Jimmy James and the Blue Flames jam. Songs where Hendrix plays back up, same thing.

About half way through the list, shocked to see Elvis listed. And so many not liking Rush. But VH? How can anyone who claims to be a guitar player not like EVH? Makes no sense.
Possibly because EVH copped his signature style of playing from Steve Hackett (tapping), then overdid it. Not to mention VH songs are generally terrible & the rhythm section, well, let’s not even go there.

eddie famine

Buddy Guy.
I know, influenced everyone, Blues Legend and all that.
I just can’t get what people hear that I don’t.
Lived in Chicago for years, saw him several times. Big Blues fan but can’t connect with his playing.

U2 - just can't stand them, very boring sound to me
Grateful Dead - I worked with a deadhead for years and heard hundreds if not thousands of hours of Dead. Just meandering, aimless, sometimes out of tune, really can't take it. I love improv and jamming but they never go anywhere.

That's about all I can think of actually. Those are the two bands that always seem to come up in conversation and purple seem surprised that I don't like them.

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
This is a topic that I feel would've resonated more with me 20 years ago than today. Any bands that I just couldn't get into slowly made their way into my listening habits, and from there, gained appreciation.

The Beatles and Pantera are two bands that I did not connect with until either a good friend opened my eyes to them in a way that hadn't been done before (The Beatles' Rubber Soul did that for me) or simply taking the plunge (Pantera).
I know what ya mean...I was recently listening to the Bee Gees, a band I never ever would have listened to back in the day...but I kind of like some of their stuff now. "Nights of Broadway" actually has a pretty good groove going for it.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
Skynyrd !!!!

AC/DC
Dead

Those are the biggest targets for me. For the dead and AC/DC there is a few redeeming things about them. But, Skynyrd ....the only thing I can say nice about them is that one of the guitar players has a cool fiddle.
I didn't include Skynyrd, because I figured I'd be tarred and feathered around here, but yes, I feel the same way. Their music is totally useless to me and always has been. The only song I even remotely enjoy is, "I Know A Little," because it has a jump blues/swing feel and is fun to play as a drummer. The rest? No thanks.

Tiresias

For me it's mostly the 'idea bands': bands where it seems like it's the idea, vibe, 'essence' of them that matters and endures over musical history, not necessarily their music itself.

Velvet Underground
Clash
The Band

You could probably include the Stones, Replacements, and Big Star in this list too—the way 'Keef' is, like, a floating signifier... 'good mid gain OD for Keef tweed tones?'; the way 'Big Star influenced' just means jangly guitars now; the way 'Replacements influenced' somehow just means catchy lite-punk music—but I love those bands.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like Oasis, but they'd go on my more general list of 'hate it; don't get it.' And I've looped around over the years from unironic enjoyment of RHCP to hatred of RHCP to ironic enjoyment of RHCP, now tacking dangerously close to unironic enjoyment again...

PapaPauk

Well by my count it looks like Kansas, Heart and Black Sabbath appear to be the most agreeable bands we’re all supposed to like. I’m sure there’s some others I’m missing.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath FTW! :dude

Tiresias

Well by my count it looks like Kansas, Heart and Black Sabbath appear to be the most agreeable bands we’re all supposed to like. I’m sure there’s some others I’m missing.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath FTW! :dude
Heart!! Very happy to throw out a dissenting voice for Heart. If 'plays incessantly on both of my local classic rock radio stations' is more or less equivalent to 'I'm supposed to like it,' they'll absolutely go on my list.

PapaPauk

Heart!! Very happy to throw out a dissenting voice for Heart. If 'plays incessantly on both of my local classic rock radio stations' is more or less equivalent to 'I'm supposed to like it,' they'll absolutely go on my list.
Darn! There goes my Black Kansas Baracuda Tribute band idea. Ah well :rimshot

Mad Wombat

Don't care for Stones, Metallica, Zeppelin, RHCP.
Despise Bon Jovi.

I love Rush, but I can understand why some might not.

Trending Topics