Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

JaBK

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin

Karen O/Atticus Ross/Trent Reznor's version of Immigrant Song is good, though...

jimijimmyjeffy

Well said! IMO "trashy" is a pretty harsh way to describe them but, one man's trash is another man's treasure I suppose ;)

For what it's worth I am also a big prog fan but, more of the modern acts. Love me some Beardfish, Anathema, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Spock's Beard, Flying Colors, etc.
A fellow prog lover friend keeps sending me Pertrucci type prog stuff. I really like him as a person, and he is a great player. But to me combining metal and prog makes sense within a rock sensibility. Yet musically, overall, that combination highlights aspects of prog I prefer not to highlight, that "he man shredding muscular and aggressive superiority macho flick your tongue" thing. I like prog due more to the music per se, and prefer less of the macho sledgehammer and more guitar playing that is more generically musical. But I'm not an 80s metal fan. I mean I like it for what it is, but it's not the mentality, aesthetic and attitude I most seek. I guess generically musical prog is just no longer popular, and metal has enough popularity to carry forward with some variant on prog. So that's good and all.

I prefer players like Fripp, Hackett, Gilmour and other earlier players over the 80s shredder types. I don't at all mind some energetic rock influence a la Kansas and Barre with Tull. But the metal thing defines it too much as metal with progressive elements for me, as opposed to being just music that could incorporate elements from any world, not primarily metal.

jimijimmyjeffy

I hated them forever, I kind of like them now. Strange.
I like them now as music, but hated them then as part of the disco culture that ended classic rock (including progressive rock) as a popular medium. I deeply hated that. I was into listening and hated that henceforth it was all about dancing in the clubs. I hated dancing in the clubs and just wanted to listen to some music. Disco killed off the listening scene within popular music. I found that destructive. It became less about music and more about pleasing the big haired dancing chicks to impress them etc. I felt doubly rejected for just loving the music itself.

But are the Bee Gees lovely music? Sure. They are even under appreciated now, IMO.

Bcorig

Are you familiar w/ Steve Hoffman’s website? The amount info on all things Beatles posted in the music discussion area of the website, and the passion (both pro & not pro-Beatles) expressed by some of the forum’s regulars is mind blowing. Lots of deep threads on The Beatles over @ that website, many of which are still alive & active.
I just signed in to the SH website. Great stuff! Thanks!

I hated them forever, I kind of like them now. Strange.
Its the falsetto vocals that makes them unlistenable to me.

I find the voice is usually the thing. Its so personal but if I don't like the tone of the singer's voice or their vibrato is just too abrasive for me that's it...just can't get past it. For instance Joan Baez is someone I can appreciate has a powerful voice but I find her vibrato too much.

beeflin

For me the two that come to mind are AC/DC and Rush. I have tried to like them both but at the end of the day I can't stand them.
I liked Rush up to the 2112 album. After that, I think lyrics took over from rock as the band's driving force. They became prog, and bombastic prog at that.

Stereophonic

Silver Supporting Member
These are the two for me. I LOVE Rush but can't stand their music. It's boring as hell. Great players but the songs suck. I love that one AC/DC song that's on all their records.

jmidnight

Silver Supporting Member
I never felt like I was "supposed to" like Rush, but I don't like Rush even though I think they have skills. Radiohead is another like that. Never liked AC/DC much outside of a couple of songs. I found Skynyrd very tiresome as well.

For me the two that come to mind are AC/DC and Rush. I have tried to like them both but at the end of the day I can't stand them.

RossZ88

Bands that You're Supposed to Like but I don't:

*Disclaimer: The bands I'm listing are bands that I just don't regularly listen to and that I've tried to get into but they didn't take.*

-Metallica
-The Who
-Pearl Jam
-Guns and Roses

Morgan Hill

Silver Supporting Member
Springsteen, although I do like, "I'm On Fire" and "My Hometown". Billy Joel. REO, although, I do like "Take It On The Run".

Beakertwang

As a fan of late 80’s “college music”, there’s one band I felt like I was supposed to like, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy...

The Smiths.

Trending Topics