Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

Rorer714

wow...I am seeing replies in here mentioning RUSH and YES. How is that possible?...being musicians and all.
nobody could be more pretentious than Yes tho I do like some of their earlier music. but Tales of Topographic Oceans? give me a break.

Green Day - I hate that whiny ass ****
G & R - Axl Rose can bite me
U2 - I hate the way they changed rock guitar, all that shimmery over delayed horse ****
Aerosmith ( after Toys in the Attic) - seriously, those later songs suck - Dude looks like a lady, yeah I get it. Now shut the **** up!!!
Grateful Dead - better than sleeping pills

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
As a fan of late 80’s “college music”, there’s one band I felt like I was supposed to like, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy...

The Smiths.
Was it Morrissey?

KrisMichalsky

So, for me, I can't stand Anthrax or Iron Madien. Every time I hear either band, I have to change it. There's other bands I don't really like either, but those two are the main two that stand out.

BBOP

Nothing against any of them or their fans (and some have made quite important contributions to music):

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
GnR
Grateful Dead
Allman Bros
The Eagles
James Gang/Walsh
AC/DC
Pink Floyd
U2
Skynyrd

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. I actually like some songs, here and there, from some of these bands.

I love a lot of Floyd guitar work but not so much the overall music.

With the Dead I've heard "you have to be there" live to really appreciate them. I might have to see for myself if this pandemic ever ends.

I like a lot of Beatles tunes quite a bit, I'm just not fond of the Beatles' own performances of their own music (something about their vocals and overall tone).
It would be interesting to see the average age of those that do not like the Beatles. If heard when released , sound was about as good as it got.

Ed Packer

Silver Supporting Member
Could never stand the Dead. When the compilation "Day of the Dead" came out, I realized I love their songs, I can't stand they way they play and sing.

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
..3. Bruce Springsteen. Whenever he comes on the radio, I immediately switch to a different channel unless the song is "I'm on Fire." When that song shows up, I put the balance all the way to the left so that the only thing I can hear is the drums....
This is funny.
I felt I was supposed to like Springsteen for his first ten years but have freed myself of that burden for the last 37 or so. I have enjoyed cherry picking a song here and there, but mostly for the perfect radio ready sounds.

wilson1

For me the two that come to mind are AC/DC and Rush. I have tried to like them both but at the end of the day I can't stand them.
Agree, Ac DC I like couple of songs, Rush I never liked anything by them. Hendrix for me as well, a couple of songs sure but thats it.

karlic

So, for me, I can't stand Anthrax or Iron Madien. Every time I hear either band, I have to change it. There's other bands I don't really like either, but those two are the main two that stand out.
I’m with you on this, although it is a general disinterest instead of a strong feeling. I tried many times with Iron Maiden, but it always sounded like blues rock. Strangely enough I have come to enjoy Bruce’s solo albums though.

noisebloom

Especially that Derrick and the Dominos live at the Fillmore LP where he just mutilates Little Wing and everyone gushed over how great it was.
This. It's because of Little Wing that I am barely able to tolerate Clapton covering Hendrix. Besides maybe Red House, he never does Hendrix enough justice.

LucasVidler

To be clear, I love music from every genre: Pop, Rock, Rap, Electronic, Country, Jazz, Classical, Experimental, etc. I’m also not stuck in the past. I actively search out new music. That said, there are some artists widely considered “great” or pioneers in their field for whom I just can’t find the appeal.

Alan Holdsworth, Frank Zappa, Garth Brooks, Grateful Dead, Jay-Z, John Lee Hooker, Kanye West, King Crimson, LCD Soundsystem, My Bloody Valentine, Pat Metheny, Yngwie Malmsteen

Last edited:

Marshall_Stack

Lordy Mama light my fuse
Honestly don't love BTS.
Cardi B - not one of my favorites.
Drake likes little girls - old school/Jimmy Page approach. Respect.
The Weekend - great hair and everybody is working for him.
Harry Styles I liked his old stuff better.

Ben W

Generally, our lifelong, core musical tastes are established by the time we finish our teens. That explains so much about these posts. It's a generational thing.

Trending Topics