Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

donnyrocker

Beach Boys

I love vocal harmonies (Queen, Beatles, King's X), but the Beach Boys' timbre doesn't sit well with me.

slave138

I like quite a bit of hard rock/metal, but I've never been able to get into these guys despite trying numerous times:
  • Black Sabbath
  • Slayer
Punk is another of my favorite genres, but I can't understand the hype around:
  • The Clash
  • Black Flag
  • Fugazi
They all have a song or two I like, but I can't stand any of them as a whole.

Scott Lee

Silver Supporting Member
Toto, Asia and other bands where great musicians output is, shall we say, less than the sum of the parts.

ashtone

Silver Supporting Member
As a qualifier of sorts, I started liking music at 10 years old, which was 1964.
my list of “everyone likes them except me” is too long, and even the ones I don’t like have a song or two that I do like, so it’s not a blanket statement.
Some highlights would be:
Elvis
Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd
Billy Joel
Grateful Dead
Rolling Stones
Tool
Nickleback
REM
Phish
Post-Cream Clapton

Very, very few bands are not derivative. Very few guitarists either. I love Stevie Ray Vaughn’s ethic, emotionality and his tone, but I find his style reminds me too much of Jimi Hendrix and Albert King. (Never to be said out loud at a blues jam.)
The current re-animation of Jerry Garcia through Phish, John Mayer and all those jam band noodlers is another one.
I guess they can’t all be innovators.

dandood

Just because something is popular doesn't mean that you're "supposed" to like it.
for example, I know alot of people think Dream Theatre is awesome, and they are, but I don't really care to listen to their music. Steve Vai is another example. Incredible player, but there is other music Id rather spend time with.
I don't think its worth worrying about. The fact that you don't like Rush isn't going to stop me from listening to them. Talking about it though gives people something to argue about. Why do that when listening is so much more enjoyable and productive.

DaveSchloss

The Beatles. My musically formative years coincided with their rise to fame, but I could never see anything in them. I really liked the Stones, but went with trad folk and blues, which was having a big revival at that time, rather than pop.
“Unbelievable”! Could never see anything in Them !? Wow ! “Musical Blindness”. They were and always will be the Greatest Ever !

sutherland

Uncle Kracker
Kid Rock
Mushroom Head
Insane Clown Posse
Breaking Benjamin
Korn
Kottonmouth Kings
Smashmouth
Barenaked Ladies

Woyvel

The Dorks, errrrr, Doors, Credence and Guns & Roses. Whenever some algorithm thinks it knows what I like, these are the first three to show up and they can’t be more mistaken.

TL;DR

Who the fork said we were supposed to like nickelback in the first place? Or Meat Loaf? Bands (or artists) that somebody on a guitar forum would be expected to like but don't? This thread turned into "I don't like what's popular". For me, it's Zappa. Sure, the dude was a ridiculously talented player, but I have trouble listening for more than a few minutes. Especially if he is singing. We are "supposed" to like peter Gabriel genesis. I really like peter Gabriel, but I do not enjoy him in genesis.

Queen: I think the whole idea is all wrong, that high culture stuff like opera or whatever is fundamentally incompatible with rock music, as I understand and appreciate it. Just, no.
Check out: 1) early Nightwish. Albums like Century Child or Once. Epic metal with operatic vocals. 2) Muse - specifically, songs like Butterflies & Hurricanes - alt rock fused with Rachmaninoff.

Might shock you how surprisingly compatible opera and classical can be... or you might hate it. :)

ckfoxtrot

It would be interesting to see the average age of those that do not like the Beatles. If heard when released , sound was about as good as it got.
I'm not sure that it's any recording or production quality factors of the time that put me off. I'm fine with listening to other music from that time and before. I think I just don't like the sound of their voices or guitar tones (but countless people love them and that's great).

I do like a lot of their songs, I just gravitate towards excellent covers of those songs.

Jolly Jim

Rush are getting a hard time here - first 2 albums are just classic! Admittedly, everything after those are pretty **** but give Geddy and the boys a bit of credit

Trending Topics