Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

realbluesky

Wilco.

But yeah if you don't get something you're "supposed" to like, just wait like 5-10 years and nobody will care anyway. Or at least that's how it should work - I mean who's going around in 2020 saying you're supposed to like Led Zeppelin and The Band? Find some better friends who aren't Corvette dads if they consider not liking CCR or The Rolling Stones a "HOT TAKE". And remember your favorite band is someone else's garbage and that's ok.

Jrocker

The greatful dead. To me they were just hippie folk music that should have died in the sixties.
Another one is kiss. The greatest overrated band in the world. Juvinile songs, garage band musicians who just happened to have a great gimmick. Now I totally respect their success but from a musicians point of view, totally lame.

Jrocker

OH, I forgot two, Dave Matthew's and Coldplay. Just never understood their popularity. To be fair, it's really personal preference but I stand by the four bands I mentioned.

voodoochili12

Supporting Member
Nine Inch Nails and Modest Mouse. I know they are influential and admired by a lot of bands I enjoy, but I just cannot get interested by either.

Kuhl1

Dave Mathews Band, Eric Clapton.....any of his stuff outside Cream, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Neil Young makes my ears bleed

bbtr

Rock bands
Especially those from the UK and US of A.

'Classic', my ass. Pushed by a big propaganda machine, to make English language 'culture' the New Bible. Same **** as Hollywood.

How dare you not like OUR culture? Soft power that KILLS.

m_van

My own band is pretty unlistenable, so probably us..
Joan Baez shakes my fillings loose otherwise.

PickyMickey

Why did the Beatles music disappear? Ask MJ. Also, having a record company named Apple long before Steve Jobs can't have helped streaming!

Endless fun and $$$ for lawyers.
I can’t ask him now! For what it’s worth, MJ is def not on this list. I love his stuff

PickyMickey

It’s all about the singer... that’s why GnR and early VH never cut it for me. Pretty good songs with singers that sounded like ASS. Paul Rodgers, Ian Gillian, Scott Wieland and Layne for me.
Nice. Layne was the man. As was Scott. I couldn’t stand Jerry Cantrell though. He both made and ruined AiC for me.

Jezza UK

I like Led Zep, Hendrix, Clapton, some Creedence, some Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, some Jefferson Airplane, Heart, Queen, Bowie, Aerosmith, and Dylan to name some (while trying not to stray too far from "classic rock" into metal, punk, etc).
QUEEN - thats mine. A parody of Bill n Ted. Great respect for Brian May as musician (and a fellow Imperial Physics & Jazz Club alumnus (rehersal space no Jazz!)). Huge technical ability and envelope pushing and guitar building and coin collecting and badger advocacy - but all their songs are to me just indulgent dirge and in jokes that aren't funny and heavy-metal-lite. In my 20s I wanted to be able to play like Brian May and then I wouldn't. Learnt a lot technically from him, and there are many ways to skin a wild cat, but especially learnt what music I don't like. Surprisingly some people seem to rate them though!!
Should do the opposite thread too - bands we are not supposed to like but do.

maxnew40

Metallica - stitched together riff tapes not really songs to me, Dream Theater - Can't get past the singing can't listen to a whole song, Guns N Roses - The singer, yikes sounds terrible to me.

Hudman_1

Threads like this one make me wonder what bands and style of music these people like. I’m very open minded to music and think most music has something to offer. I’m not a country fan but I love visiting Nashville to watch live music. I appreciate skilled musicianship. Nashville is full of talented players.

Connorloren

Jimi Hendrix.

I hate him. He totally ripped off Robin Trower. :messedup

But seriously though. I do prefer Robin Trower. That might change in another 10 years though. I've just listened to everything Jimi ever did so many times now that Robin Trower just seems fresher to me. Also, I kinda prefer his somewhat more subdued and purposeful style more. I still like Jimi, I just like Robin more.
How can Jimi have ripped off someone who really didn’t start sounding like that till after Jimi’s death. I’d say Jimi ripped off Clapton, but more borrowed some style from him while turning the vibe up to 11. The amount Jimi did in a 3.5 year period is unreal.

Trending Topics