Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

vonrang

Stix & REO Speedwagon. If they both went careening high off a cliff in the same tour bus, the world would spin just that much faster without their presence on it!

PickyMickey

Threads like this one make me wonder what bands and style of music these people like. I’m very open minded to music and think most music has something to offer. I’m not a country fan but I love visiting Nashville to watch live music. I appreciate skilled musicianship. Nashville is full of talented players.
This thread has only mentioned a tiny sliver of musical acts in the grand scheme. I think it’s been appropriate - it’s focused on cliche rock bands mainly, and it feels good to diss on them. Jimi is overrated. LZ sounds up its own ar$. Ahhhh :)

Connorloren

-Grateful Dead
-Prince
-Cream/Clapton
-AC/DC (even though Angus Young is a bad ass)
-Santana (even though Carlos is rad and I love their Woodstock performance)
-Bob Marley (even though I admire everything he stood for, as well as the fact I smoke as much bud as Bob did)
-Jeff Beck

For a long time I felt the same way about The Rolling Stones, but then one day a friend played “Sympathy For The Devil” and it all changed. He played “Mothers Little Helper” next and then the rest is history. Prior to that day I always considered them a one hit wonder with “Paint It Black,” personally. I’d be stoked if the same thing happened with any of those bands above, so I occasionally give them a shot.

groundmeat

How can Jimi have ripped off someone who really didn’t start sounding like that till after Jimi’s death. I’d say Jimi ripped off Clapton, but more borrowed some style from him while turning the vibe up to 11. The amount Jimi did in a 3.5 year period is unreal.
NO. JIMI COPIED ROBIN. EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT.

larsjm

For me it has less to do with the band itself, and more with people's reaction to it. That's why I don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd. Sweet Home Alabama, Simple Man, and...*gasp*, Freebird have been so crammed down our throats and into our ears for decades. I don't ever need to hear those songs again. Great musicianship, but massively and detrimentally over-played/covered/remade/soundtracked, etc, etc.

portsider

Threads like this bug me. I don’t care for some of those guys either, but anyone who can play their music and have so much success deserves respect imo.
Guys live the Stones, Dead and Dylan are going to have some stinkers among 30-40 albums. If I had that kind of success I’d probably want to try something different now and then.

Reactions: HJR
Can't Stand - TOP TOP of my list are Aerosmith #1 and #2 Guns and Roses. Honorable Terrible mentions: The Beatles, Wandering Wilburys, Rush, Greatful Pot Heads (Dead), RHCP's, and rising on my list fast - poser John Bonamassiveego (the ultimate technique copy-cat)

Greatest: AC/DC, Led Zep (think about it, it's ONLY THREE musicians and all that sound and musical skills!), EARLY Brian Jones Rolling Stones (even with spastic dancing Jagger), Eagles. Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, BB King and band, Origninal (Blues) Fleetwood Mac, Blues Breakers...... oh Sh*t too many more to list!

mapperboy

(Long Reply)

All these replies just prove beyond a shadow that...
"There absolutely no accounting for taste in music (or any art)"
During my earliest college art 'Appreciation' type courses, I started to understand why exposure and deep listening can change impressions.
So my first listening to (talking jazz Gods here) Coltrane and guys like Cecil Taylor was--WTF, I can't get a groove on this noise at all...then later I started to 'get' it.

After starting to expose myself and play at free form improvisation sessions I also gained a lot of insight about tuning ones brain to other modes of listening, this often takes a LOT of letting go.

HOWEVER, none of this works for me for any band that uses AutoTune for vocals...Uggg-Gaggg...and when pop critics say "but this is what the audiences want", I just think OMG has todays music has really become so dumbed down.

Karl Brake

Jimi Hendrix.

I hate him. He totally ripped off Robin Trower. :messedup

But seriously though. I do prefer Robin Trower. That might change in another 10 years though. I've just listened to everything Jimi ever did so many times now that Robin Trower just seems fresher to me. Also, I kinda prefer his somewhat more subdued and purposeful style more. I still like Jimi, I just like Robin more.
Yes, Trower's lead lines are much more imaginative and expressive. I still adore Hendrix for songwriting and upping the ante from Freddie King...he made guitar a landscape not just a part, sonically. But many of his solos are straight from the 3 Kings.

Trending Topics