Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

jenningsmusic

For me the two that come to mind are AC/DC and Rush. I have tried to like them both but at the end of the day I can't stand them.
To me, there is usually one thing about a band that makes me hate them and with both the bands you mentioned, it's their singers especially Geddy Lee.

dreamspace

Rush is one of my favorite bands, but I guess they're acquired taste.

But with that said, they have such a varied collection of music, it's difficult to hate it all. I get that Geddy's voice can be polarizing, but it's even that has evolved with the years. Geddy from 2010 sounds almost nothing like Geddy from 1975.

Ben W

Definitely not true in my case. The stuff I loved expanded, continually, throughout my life, since I love music.

I actually love music, outside of sentimentality for youth.

I do still like all the stuff I liked as a young petson, however.
This thread is loaded with subjective perspectives, including those in response to my note about when tastes are formed for life. That was an objective observation. See, https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/02/12/spotify-study-musical-tastes/.

oneblackened

I've got Second Stage Turbine Blade and Year Of The Black Rainbow.
YOTBR is pretty widely regarded as their weakest record. Definitely check out Afterman, Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, and No World For Tomorrow. The Dark Sentencer is okay, not their strongest.

groundmeat

Don’t really know, but is there some source? I’d say this doesn’t really count as general knowledge
LOL. DUDE. No. Obviously Jimi did NOT copy Robin Trower. Jimi died in 1970. Robin's first album Twice Removed from Yesterday came out in 1973. It is widely known that Robin "borrowed" some of his style and sound from Jimi. Thus the "But seriously" part in my original comment. I made it clear that I was just being facetious.

On the other hand...

Truthfully, JIMI COPIED ROBIN, AND EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.

ggwwbb

I can't stand Pantera....there is absolutely nothing about them that I can even remotely like. Red Hot Chili Peppers aren't far behind, but there's actually a little bit of their early stuff that I can stomach.

This thread is loaded with subjective perspectives, including those in response to my note about when tastes are formed for life. That was an objective observation. See, https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/02/12/spotify-study-musical-tastes/.
Fans or casual listeners are one thing.

Most good musicians I've met continue to learn about and like new stuff throughout life. I have no idea how many hundreds of musicians I've met.

A lot of people who consume music don't really like music. The more somebody appreciates music, the more stuff they like.

I don't need a Spotify study to tell me what I've experienced directly over a long music life.

morlll

Rush
journey
Styx
Yes
Genesis
Jethro Tull (After Benefit sucks the first 2 were great and Benefit is okay)
George Thorogood
All Boy Bands
Justin Beebs
New Your Dolls
The Ramones
Loverboy
King Crimson after the first 2
Fink Ployyd except for a couple-0-hit.
Kenny G
Joy Division
Eddy Money
America (give the horse a gd name)
Uriah Heep and any band that sings "me and my Wizard" without joking
Iton Butterfly Yawn.
Ozzy.

I could go on on

Last edited:

Holdsworthy

Basically, any band whose music I can play. If I can play your tunes, are you really an incredible guitar player? No.

So that really only leaves one guy standing, and I think, based upon my handle, we all know who that is. He is (was) the one true musician worthy of praise.

But I will give an honorable mention to Plini, but only Handmade Cities.

Trending Topics