Bang and Blame Delay

malabarmusic

I really dig the delay on this song. Not hyped digital, not dirty or low-fi analog ... just really natural (dare I say, "organic").

Peter Buck wasn't known as a big user of delay, and I'm pretty sure that a studio rack mount unit was used on the track. That being said, I'd love some input from anyone who can suggest a stompbox that delivers this type of tone.

I don't care one way or the other about analog or digital, but I'm not interested in any of the following:

• Pedals bigger than a BB-sized enclosure or thereabouts (i.e., 2 MXR boxes side by side)
  • An interface featuring a digital readout, presets, and/or any type of programmability
  • Tap tempo - not essential, but not a requirement
  • A circuit that can't muster at least 450-500ms
  • Above-average noise levels
I've owned - and flipped - the TC Flashback, but before I revisit that option I'd love to hear some other ideas.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
For something like this you can't go wrong with the T Rex Replica. Really though, you can get this sound out of nearly any standard digital delay, boss dd or otherwise. My 2 cents.

Agree with the above suggestion.

Was thinking about the Monster album today and it struck me that it's now 20 years old.

JukeBoxRat

Agree with the above suggestion.

Was thinking about the Monster album today and it struck me that it's now 20 years old.
I still remember buying it the day it came out and playing it over and over in my freshman dorm room until my roommate got sick of it. Dude probably still can't listen to that album, but I about wore the CD out. Still some of my favorite guitar sounds ever.

JukeBoxRat

It was. According to a Guitar World interview, all the tremolo on Monster was a Mesa-Boogie Trem-O-Verb.

Sentenced

I still remember buying it the day it came out and playing it over and over in my freshman dorm room until my roommate got sick of it. Dude probably still can't listen to that album, but I about wore the CD out. Still some of my favorite guitar sounds ever.
I got sick of it by only listening to it once. Not bad, but on repeat it would make it a great torture.

:brick

chrisjw5

It was. According to a Guitar World interview, all the tremolo on Monster was a Mesa-Boogie Trem-O-Verb.
I remember that. I remember playing with a square-wave trem that had tap tempo.

Loved that album, and most of the follow-up, New Adventures in Hi-Fi (which was recorded on the Monster tour)

Michael was asked about "the new sound" and he said "Well, Peter got a Les Paul and a new amp".

Also, Mike Mills with longer hair and a Nudie suit = awesome.

malabarmusic

For something like this you can't go wrong with the T Rex Replica. Really though, you can get this sound out of nearly any standard digital delay, boss dd or otherwise. My 2 cents.
Good suggestions, BTW. I bought a brand new DD-2 in 1985 and got tons of good use out of it. Pre-TGP I was rocking a pair of them.

The clips of the Replica sound like the ticket, but it looks like the Replay Box is T.Rex's "new and improved" version. Haven't seen much in the way of reviews, though.

earwax

I love the Monster Album. I don't understand why it was so ubiquitous in used CD stores(when those still existed).

TheGuildedAge

I agree any digital would do it, Boss DD7, DD3, DD5. Any of the tc ones, flashback, alter ego, etc.

Great album by the way. 20 years, good lord I feel old. I was 16 then.

Trending Topics