"bang for the buck" 335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, May 13, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

And while we're at it, in the $500-$700 range and thereabouts, what's yer favorite (or at least some good options) for 335 type copies?

There's Subway guitar, Ibanez stuff. I really don't like the Epiphone copies, for some reason. They feel funny, and don't sound clear.

-thi

2. mailman

mailman Member

New, it'll run you about double your price range (but still way less than a 335)...Heritage 535. Lighter, better crafted (IMO) & Pleked, and affordable.

ps. You can probably pick up a good "used" 535 for $1K or under.

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

What are you used to playing? I have a Heritage 535, and have owned a 335, in the past. For $600. I think the Epiphone Sheraton II is great. I play mine at outdoor festival's, where I don't want to take my Heritage.

4. rorschah

rorschah Member

I'm used to playing a Tele, LP's, and my friend's Gibson 335.

Maybe that's the problem. The epiphone stuff sounds *so far* in my ears it just makes me sad.

I mean, would a simple pickup change to a Sheraton do it?

-thi

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

SA-series Yamahas.

6. raz

raz Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Big time.

Had to sell mine last year due to financial stresses. But I WILL replace it soon.

R
    A
    Z

7. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Orville 335, used. Edwards 335 used.

8. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I know what you mean about the Epi's; they seem great at first, but after awhile you notice that lack of clarity.

Unfortunately, haven't found anything better in this category. I had high hopes for Hamer, but none of those felt right either.

Re Yamaha SA's, great choice, but aren't these prohibitively expensive now? Used to be able to grab an SA-2000 for $500 or $600, but last time I looked they were much higher.

/rick

9. raz

raz Member

I paid $700 for mine in 2001, sold it in 2004 for $850. So they're going up, but I still see them for $700-800.

The SA-2200 is still available in the States for ca $1500 new, unlike the SG series solid-bodies which are only available in Japan and are 'spennnnnnnsive.

R
    A
    Z
    (Pondering whether to sell my SG-2000)

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

A used Guild Starfire IV. Great guitars - I think right up there with modern Gibson 335s - but sadly, they don't hold much resale value. Which helps you, the second owner, quite a bit!

11. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I just got an Epiphone Sheraton II recently... I like it very much for the price range it is in. Only a couple of bad things I have seen so far..

Input Jack - this is my 3rd Epiphone & and all seem to have cheap jacks that get loose every time you plug in & are so hard to pull out, seems like it is going to break.

Pickups - as of right now, I am still enjoying the neck pickup of my Sheraton II. But, the bridge pickup is not even close to making me happy.

All in all, Epiphones are ok with me because they are affordable. Gibsons are just too much money, unless you find "YOUR" guitar. I use a PRS McCarty as my main guitar, and nothing I have found is even close to it. Final thoughts - unless "YOUR" guitar is a 335, go with something less expensive like an Sheraton II. It is built better & sounds miles ahead of the lower Epiphone 'Dot' guitars... and insanely more affordable than a Gibson.

12. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

13. PAF

PAF Member

+1 for the Orville & Guild suggestions

[​IMG]

14. mailman

mailman Member

15. Reeek

Reeek Member

16. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

Hamer Echotone.:AOK

17. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

Wow! Ebony board and Grovers for 4 bills + case? Are these made well? They certainly seem a terrific value. They kind of remind me of a Yamaha SA-2200.
    Anyone have one?

18. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Member

IMHO, after messing around with a vast arrray of 335 wannabes, my votes go for (in no particular order) the Epitome Dot Special, Washboard HB32, Ibeenhad Artcore AS73. Most Pacific Rim guitars will need some help, but once properly administered, you'll uncover that diamond in the rough. For sure. It's truly wonderful to be living in the Golden Age of Guitars. Really.