Banished all digital from my board!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ThePenwellCrash, May 14, 2015.

1. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

It took me years to rid myself of digital...well actually, I guess this is the first time I've EVER had my pedalboard 100% analog. So it really took me 19 years from the time I bought my first pedal to get to this point. :thud

But really, it took about 4 years to come back around to a few pedals I knew I loved, but I had given up on for functionality. The Diamond Memory Lane and Trem. Strymon had stolen their places years ago with the allure of features out-the-wahzoo in a limited space. Don't get me wrong. The Strymons sound great and can do some pretty amazing stuff, but I realized that I don't really use them for all of their features and found myself missing the simplicity of stepping on a pedal that does only one sound, but it's a sound you love! :beer

It started with a conversation with a friend who is a drummer. I was explaining how I would love to go back to some old analog favorites but I didn't have the pedalboard real estate for both analog and digital counterparts, plus the digital just did so much. He just looked at me like "ok :rolleyes: , why don't you just play the ones you really love". That idea got under my skin.

The hardest part to get analog was the reverb since most of my amps don't have it. The headroom is huge, and required I remove my volume pedal, but it's actually one or my favorite changes to my sound. Plus the Diamond delay and trem are just as sweet as I remember. They both add such beautifully subtle warmth to the signal. Im not losing any signal going through the pedalboard compared to straight amp either, which is kinda strange since I thought all these pedals were true bypass and I would need a buffer. The last change I anticipate making is the small enclosure Diamond Comp once it comes out, since that is another classic pedal I never should have sold.

:worthless

Sorry for the rambling. Without further ado, here are the before and after shots

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

2. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

I can't see the pics because I am at work and pic hosting sites are blocked, but I figure you must not have much cable if you don't need a buffer. I definitely need the few buffers I have on my board of 17 pedals. Do you check your direct signal vs the signal through your board using a TBP looper?

I ended up going all analog as well, with the exception of my E2D. After buying and selling a Timeline, El Cap, Mobius and Flint, I realized I don't like digital pedals, with the exception of some delays. They almost never seem to jive with my drive pedals as well as analog pedals, and detract from the overall tone imo.

3. Stephans

Stephans Member

4. snouter

snouter Member

Congrats. Digital is cool for practicing quietly with headphones at 3 AM or whatever, but in real life with real volume, nothing beats analog.

5. King Rat

King Rat Member

How will you tune?

6. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

digitally controlling your tempo is the robot devil.

7. ThePenwellCrash

I plugged one cable into the board then out of the board into a high input on a blackface fender. A third but identical cable was plugged directly into the low input of the same channel. On old fenders when you plug into high and low at the same time, it balances the difference between the two. That way I could just quickly plug one cable or the other into the guitar and play with very little interruption. No more than 3 seconds. Tomorrow may become a game of "find th buffer". I suspect it may be the Carl Martin Headroom

Thanks

Thanks

Snark clip on tuner. Been using it for years

8. ThePenwellCrash

I don't count Diamonds tap tempo. It never digitizes the signal, wet or dry

9. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

10. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

yeah...still digital though, and still on your board. as a point of smug pedantry, i maintain that your board is less than completely analog. replace the offenders with non-tap contenders, get a big knob on the speed and use your foot and ears! :p

11. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I like that. :beer

12. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Sorry to hear that.

13. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

such a sad black and white way to arbitrarily categorize things.

i guess if youre in a playing slump and needed an excuse to go shopping i suppose this is good news.

14. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

I detect a hint of jealousy..don't have money for a playing slump? Anyway, fair enough on the analog path strategy, I don't think it is arbitrary categorization, I think it is a fairly systematic routing of all digital FX....I had a Flint, couldn't fault the trem side of things, only the spring reverb didn't cut it. I think for many effects, digital and analog aren't far apart anymore with Strymon and Fractal Audio in the game. Digital photography sure took over in a big way from analog. Til then, hope you get some juicy sounds outa that rig

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I thought "banished" was an interesting choice, and didn't get the note of triumph either.

Huh?

I know we're on the The Gear Page. But the dependence on and reaction to gear is wearing on me. Probably should just step away or not click I suppose.

I also don't get it, because more than one of the pedals has a digital element, IIRC.

But glad you're happy for now, OP!

16. ThePenwellCrash

Dog-gone-it. I'll admit defeat to your comments. They have cut me deep and I must now soul-search for an appropriate penance

It would be fair to say that I have obsessed over something trivial if the digital pedals kept me perfectly satisfied, but the truth is that I always missed the "feel" of my old analog pedals when they were gone. Finding a analog reverb is probably where I had to go truly out of my way to stay analog, but again I am just happier with the sound of this thing compared to the Flint. One other reason for going analog is that they will retain their value, whereas digital pedals by nature will only devalue the longer we have them and the better new digital advancements are made. I prefer the idea that my expensive delay will stay valuable years from now

17. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

Talking about gear is tiring me too! I wish there was an anti-gearpage where we could talk about how tired we are of talking about it..

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Or we could have productive discussions rather than chasing the latest fancy toy and misconception, sprinkled with confirmation bias. And maybe listen to each other with an open mind, rather than go off-topic and ad hominem as soon as someone disagrees or challenges a belief-structure.

Sorry. All analogue (or partial all-analog or acceptable digital) is the bestest!!!! Especially if it's really expensive and/or hard to obtain. Don't worry, I'll repeat that 50x until it's really ingrained.

These are not the droids you're looking for.

Move along.

19. ThePenwellCrash

Pedalboards are a form of personal expression and therefore subjective by nature. I am much happier with this setup because of how I feel the sound respond to my playing. I know others would play these same pedals and not feel the same as me. I'm totally cool with people agreeing or disagreeing with my choices. The people who get aggressive or defensive confuse me, but oh well.

20. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

You know all that AnalogMan stuff is just Boss COSM technology re-housed, right? :)