Bar Band questions.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jcmark611, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I know I am going to ask some "loaded" questions here but, I've been thinking about band to play a few gigs at bars and clubs in the area.

How much income can one roughly expect from a gig?

Should a band invest in a PA and sound guy?

When playing these small rooms should a rig concentrate on tone or versatility?

Should a keyboardist invest in an amp or just a nice DI?

Any general recomendations? Thanks.

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Find out what the standard is in your area... it's different everywhere... Don't play for less ....
    However, be forewarned that there's a thread concerning pay now days = A fixed budget...
    so matter how many guys are in your band, you'll still get paid the same... 3 or 5.. You'll all get paid the same ...

A PA yes ... a sound guy ,,, not necessary....
    You should be able to get a good balance as a team

Why not both ...

An amp ... you want as little as possible going through the PA in small clubs...
    There''s a chance the keys will dominate the mix (hear this all the time ...)

3. GDking

GDking Member

I agree with all lucid's answers.

I would also focus on what he said regarding the number of people in your band. It is really important IMO to keep it to a 3 or 4 piece tops to remain financially feasible at all in a bar environment.

4. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

:agree

5. BigJamesyBoy

BigJamesyBoy Member

Cover bands get paid better. My band plays covers so we can get better paying gigs to fund our original gigs.

Get a modest P.A. for the gigs where one isn't provided (occasionally you can get paid extra for running your own sound) This is dependant on how motivated and/or competent you guys are with sound systems.

Tone and versatility are not mutually exclusive

Keys have a tendency to ruin monitor mixes, get an amp

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Another general recommendation: keep your band to a max of 4 members.

Less drama with less people, less clashes with instruments in the mix (nothing like a keyboard and a sax doing "fills" all night) and more dollars at the end of the night.

7. 8Painting

8Painting Member

SELLOUT!:mob

8. JZG

JZG Member

I would probably invest in a small to mid grade PA that you can use for the smaller rooms. You could hire out a sound guy who brings his own gear, but that's going to cut into your pay. I would guess that most of the bigger places are going to have in-house systems/sound guys. I also agree about having the keys running through its own amp. That will help you control the overall mix of the band a lot better.

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

:agree Lucidology pretty much nailed it from my years of experience.

And GDking makes a very good point as well. I'm in two bands, and one is a large jam band (Allman/Dead style - dual drums the whole deal). There are some great live music venues in town that the band simply cannot play. Luckily most of those guys only want to play about once a month (my other band gigs every weekend at the least).

10. boog204

boog204 Member

what lucid said... however, having a good soundman at gigs, highlight the word GOOD, can often impress clubs to having you back. at least in my bands case. that being said, know your $$ cut will go down quite a bit.

11. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

We play out 4x's/Month and average about $750.00 per gig. Money is not an issue for us. A good sound guy is always helpful but no necessary. Remember, what sounds good on stage typically sounds like S**T 30 feet in front with a bunch of bodies in the way.
    We mike everything to get the sound out front. If you don't you tend to hear kick, snare and bass guitar on top of everything else.

Ron

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Not when you let drummers run the PA. Strangely enough, most of the good sound guys I've known have been drummers.

13. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

The cover band I play with from time to time gets anywhere from $500-800 per gig (which I was fairly impressed with). They own their own PA (all powered speakers and monitors, so the rig is basically a good mixer and the speakers, no power amps), wireless mics with in-ears for anyone who's singing.

Stage volume is kept to a minimum, keyboard player brings an amp, everything is mic'ed and put through the PA. No soundman, but there's a lot of 'ears' in the band and they know most of the rooms they play well enough to know what works and what doesn't. The P.A. is good enough to play songs off an iPod inbetween sets, so they do that with a good club mix (usually more dancey stuff than the band plays normally) so it ends up being a good cross-section of tunes and the club owners seem to love that.

Definitely agree with keeping the total number of members in the band down to 4, though. 5 gets unwieldy, 6 is just nonsense. Its fun once in awhile but no one wants to have to get paid a 6th of the total take.

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Funny .. I've actually experienced that too ... :rotflmao