Bar Rescue

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AZChilicat, Apr 19, 2015.

1. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Just caught an episode of this for the first time. What's the deal on the bug-eyed guy that yells at everyone? Has anyone ever been to one of these bars?

2. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

I have. He did 2 in the Cincinnati area and a good friend of mine did make-up for them. And before you ask, it IS a real show, whether you like Taffer or not.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

He used to be the manager at Barney's Beanery near the Sunset Strip in the 70s and was like that even back then. We used to go there all the time and could be considered regulars at the time. In fact, he threw me and my band out one night when we stopped by after playing The Whiskey because one of us complained about the food (it was cold and under seasoned) and someone else had put a beer bottle on the rail of a pool table. OK, that was wrong, but getting 86ed for that instead of a warning? What a dickhead...

I went back a few weeks later with a date, he said "Welcome back, nice to see you again. You're going to behave right?" (I didn't do a damn thing wrong the previous visit) and he was as nice as can be. Dude has control issues... Now, he's some kind of self appointed expert on service, drinks and food.

And no, I haven't been to one of the bars he "rescued". Most of them don't stay in business very long after the glow from the show wears off...

4. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

What two bars in Cincy?

5. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

One in the Fairfield area (renamed "America Live"), show titled "Owner Ousted" and one on the west side he re-named The Public House (forgot show title). Went there for burgers and beer and our waitress was featured on the show. Same guy was behind the bar, too. Surreal, I felt like I was dining on the set of The Love Boat or something....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  6. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

It's a fun show, but the formula wore thin for me pretty quick (like most of those types of shows).

7. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I watched one episode.The bar owner hit on the hosts wife.I don't think they swing. That and his constant condescending tone are all I recall.

8. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Just for the record, if I owned a place and you walked in, I'd keep an eye on you too!

:)

9. flatnine

flatnine Supporting Member

I watch from time to time...the common denominator in all episodes is that the owner and or most employee's are idiots. Show revolves around Taffer squaring away the idiots- the remodel is secondary. Alot of times the idiots change the bar back as soon as "glow from the show" wears off, then they promptly fail...

10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I like it but admit it wears thin. All of the owners and employees are idiots and low lifes.
    He is right most of the time with his formula. Make the employees work and not drink, and find a way to attract women. Seems simple enough but some of the owner/managers are nuts.

11. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

All the bars on that show look pretty awful.

:messedup

The only one remotely around here was the infamous "Piratz Tavern" in Silver Spring, MD, which Taffer considers a failure. The whole story can be found in this final obit of an article from the Post. The owners finally threw in the towel in early April.

12. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

The funniest part of that show is when Taffer and his staff pull
    up to the bar to be re-done.

In every episode, they are watching what is going on via a camera.

They will find some thing that the bar owner is doing wrong, and
    Taffer will nearly explode in his car with anger, says "we're going
    in", and then invariably proceeds to berate the owner and staff.

No wonder the bar owners seem to hate him.

13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

similar theme to restaurant impossible on the food network. i like both shows o.k. and watch periodically. taffer approaches running a bar based on science and business. that is something a lot of bar owners don't know much about.

14. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Taffer = Drama

The audience loves the drama.

I find the episodes where the owner cant let go and changes the bar back after Taffy leaves quite amusing. A big FU before they go broke.

If these people are so far in debt, who fronts the bill for the renovation?

15. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Taffer's production company pays for the renovation. On average they spend $250K per show. I assume that they get the money back from the Spike network as part of their contract for producing the show.

16. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I’ve played bar gigs for more years than I care to remember, and I’ve met a lot of bar owners or managers similar to the ones featured on Bar Rescue. Their bars typically have a lot of the same problems as the bars presented on the show have – incompetent management, theft by the staff, poor customer service, long-term cleanliness issues, etc. One thing that I don’t get is that most of the bars on the show have filthy kitchens and bar areas. Don’t most jurisdictions do health inspections on a regular basis? I live in Fairfax County Virginia and you can lookup a detailed inspection history for any restaurant, bar or store that sells food online. There is a minimum of two unannounced inspections every year, plus follow-up inspections to assess corrective actions the business has taken to address items that were not in compliance at the time of the routine inspection. The inspector conducts a complete inspection covering all items in the county’s food safety regulations for compliance. They will close down an establishment with serious food safety issues. Don’t other areas do the same thing?

17. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

yeah all that is done for the drama factor.

How much fun would the show be to watch if Tafer walked in and was Mr. Nice Guy and helped rebuild the business without any verbal fireworks or screaming?
    there always has to be a scapegoat

The thing that make this show work is that the bars are so screwed up but easily fixable with Tafer's method, which is really just good business sense.
    The episode with what I think was the most delusional owner was the Pirate bar episode she was way,way gone...hoo boy:crazyguy
    The scary thing is how the show reveals how dirty some of these bars are.
    Dirty ice bins, dirty beer lines, dirty dispenser nozzles, dirty drains, bugs in old liquor bottles, just really nasty ****. :barf

18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I know they do in Los Angeles County, but that show makes me leery of stopping in at some restaurant/bar that looks good on the outside in other places. When in Florida, I ask the locals we know about places we've seen and according to them, a couple of places that looked good driving by are definite no-go zones...yelp reviews usually back up their opinions.

One in particular cracks me up. It's billed as best BBQ around and to a person, locals have told me, "don't ever eat there." How badly can someone screw up a BBQ restaurant with a giant smoker out back? :dunno

Although Taffer's method obviously works and he promotes a good business model, does he have to be such an asshole about it? I know it's a reality show, but...

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

A lot of that money is sponsorship money. The POS company donates in exchange for advertising, as does a liquor company, and a tap system. You'll notice a lot of product mentions in the last 10 minutes, during the reveal.

20. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

One of the first rescues when the show first started a couple of years ago was a local haunt of mine - the Chicken Bone. I've played dozens of gigs there. Food was top rate; best wings in the area. And it was a great room to play; the clientele were music savvy and they booked lots of top local talent. When Taffer did his bit he couldn't believe a place could pull that much in sales (2 million I think) and still be losing money. He outlined some management changes; for whatever reason they didn't stick, and the Bone closed its doors for good early last summer. We were scheduled to play the grand re-opening in the fall, but that never happened. Very sad to lose a great room like that.

:cry: