Barber Burn Unit or Tone Pump vs. Addrock NSOY

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hoodster, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

I'm looking for a two-stage drive pedal and am wondering if anyone has compared either of the Barber units with the Addrock Not So Old Yeller. I use a Rivera Clubster 25 on the clean channel with either a Strat or Teles and I'm looking for something that can be set up for two different levels of overdrive. I am not a TS fan, which makes me a little concerned about the Addrock, and I've owned a Direct Drive in the past and really enjoy that tone, which leads me to lean toward a Barber product.

I'm also considering the Diamond J-Drive....

Any input much appreciated.

2. modernp

modernp Member

Barber all the way. I own both and that is all I need for my over drive/distortion sounds.

3. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

You own both which -- both Barbers or one of the Barbers and the NSOY?

4. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

5. johndara

johndara Member

I own a Not So Ol' Yellar and I don't find it to be like a TS. There is no mid hump at all. Addrocks are underrated in my opinion. I would give it a shot and if it doesn't work out just return it..I think you'll be surprised.

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Since I shot the video and own the NSOY, I'd have to respectfully disagree (I've owned original 808s, TS-9s, and TS-10s, so I know what a TS sounds like). The NSOY has way more gain than a TS and is much more amp-like. It has more high end, much less of a mid hump, and more bass.

Other than that, it's just like it! :rolleyes:

8. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

I like your playing but the tone just didn't sound very smooth to me--could be the recording, but it was a little too in your face for me.

I really liked the feedback bit, though!