• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Barber Burn Unit

AXEnGEAR4J

Curious of those who chose this effect over others or others who found a smoother more saturated drive?

jazzgitter

Love my BU. Does a lot more than just the smooth Dumble thing. It can do Fender, Marshal, Boogie, and Vox type ods because of the dynamics control.

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
One of the nicest overdrives out there. That's really saying something considering some of the drives I own.

Van Weelden Royal Overdrive
King of Tone
Ethos
Klon Centaur
Hot Cake
Arc Effects Klone
Etc......

AXEnGEAR4J

Ethos' and Zendrive II was my other choices and think I'll go with the Barber Burn.

Was there a difference between the old and new versions?

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
the older single channel BU had some serious magic, I had it along wih a current BU EQ and they were close but the old one won out. I think there are a ton of useful tones in either version, the trim pots really help with these pedals. I'd kill to have my old one bac though, with just 4 knobs and one trimmer!!!
Kurt

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
kurt1981... Any idea what the older 1st generation BU's are worth? It's been a while since I've seen one for sale.

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
man no idea but I'd sure love to have one!!!
the newer ones have really dropped in price, think I saw an olde one for like $85 or so a year or two ago,
Kurt

Able Grip

I have the original BU. When I got it I swapped out the op-amp for a old stock jrc4558d. I would like to know what the original chip was?

Able Grip

Dave when I bought my Dual Burn Unit a few years ago I asked you the same question, and you sent me 3 op amps. I never did try them out, but I dug them up and you sent me 2- 4559DD and 1 0728D (or 072BD). I will give them a try. Thanks.

What is the difference between the old single black BU's and the duals tonally?

What does the trimmer do inside the single BU?

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
the single trimmer adjusts bass on the old ones, or it did on the one I had. If anyone comes across one, I'd love another old one!
Kurt

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I had one of the very first with the stickers, I miss it. I think it was one of the first to do some dumbly tones.

jcarpenter

Gold Supporting Member
Everytime I try a different overdrive I always go back to my Burn Unit, Small Fry or even my DDSS. There is something magic in the high gain tones of the BU with a low power amp turned up to the sweet spot. I tired the K.O.T. high gain, Stone Grey, Radial Plexitube etc..the BU always wins out.

David B

Silver Supporting Member
Dave when I bought my Dual Burn Unit a few years ago I asked you the same question, and you sent me 3 op amps. I never did try them out, but I dug them up and you sent me 2- 4559DD and 1 0728D (or 072BD). I will give them a try. Thanks.

What is the difference between the old single black BU's and the duals tonally?

What does the trimmer do inside the single BU?
The newer Burn Units have more available top and bottom in comparison to the early single channel BU. If you set a new BUEQ with the bass all the way down, midrange all the way up, presence all the way down and NS 1/4 up (if your BUEQ has NS), then you get a very similar sound to the early BU. The trim in the early BU was a mid-bass trim.

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Hi David, woult these settings apply to the small fry also, to get that early BU tone?
Thanks,
Kurt