Barber Burn Unit

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Aug 22, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

So I'm deciding if the Barber Burn unit can replace my Fulldrive II. I can already tell the Burn Unit is way more flexible...but how do they compare tonewise?? Can the Burn Unit sound as smooth and singing as the Fulldrive II?

Would just getting a Small Fry to work along side my Fulldrive be a better options??

2. DanJep

DanJep Member

I think the two are totally different animals. The burn unit is dark, creamy and transparent and the fulldrive is a tubescreamer... I used them together with good results. I had the fulldrive set to flat mids with low gain and used the barber to kick it up a notch.

3. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Hi, I have a Burn Unit (one of the older ones with yellow lettering on it instead of red letters). I love it. I don't know if it will replace the FDII but I can offer more of a comparison on Monday as I just made a trade for a older FDII Non-mosfet. The one thing that I really like about the BU is the fact that is is very, very smooth and really has alot of note clarity with it.

vtg

4. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Apples & oranges.

The Burn Unit is smoother and more transparent than the FDII. It has much more gain available, but (ironically) can get cleaner as well. Much more Marshall-esque than the the FD II which is grainer unless you drop the gain all the way down, or use the clean boost.

The Burn Unit can easily go into metal territory with a clean amp, while the FD II is more of a blues pedal. The BU can do blues great though. David Barber's Tone Pump is a lower gain version of the Burn Unit (the Tone Pump actually came 1st) & is more in the ball park of the FD II, though it too is smoother & more transparent.

The Barber pedals also have the internal trimmers (and they are very effective) for bass mid & presence on the BU / mid & presence on the TP (bass on the outside), so you can really set the boxes for your particular guitar & amp. A much more modern & sophisticated design than the FD II.

And for what it is worth, the Barber pedals, even though tall, only take up one pedal's worth of real estate width-wise on the board. The FD II is wider.

:D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. impactblue

impactblue Member

Lol..hmmm...

It sounds pretty good.....

Does tweaking the internal trimmers allow the pedal to sound not so transparent?

6. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Yep. - You can totally pump up the mids or add more edge, bottom, etc. And there is LOTS of gain on tap. It can be anything but transparent as well. Pretty damn cool & extremely useful.

I love the BU for that tight, fat 70's cranked Marshall sound. It really is a great sounding pedal. It totally sings.

PS: I personally like it better than the Small Fry which is also a great pedal.

7. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

(Emphasis added )

I agree!!

8. impactblue

impactblue Member

I guess I'm sold...I'll prolly replace the FD2 with the BU....:JAM

9. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I replaced my FD2 with the Tone Pump about 3 years ago and it hasn't left my board since except for a brief time when I was comparing it and the Burn Unit, which was also great.

It was a tough shootout for sure because there is a certain amount of overlap, but my original reason for replacing the FD2 was that I was playing in a band where I needed muscular clean sounds (Meters style funk band), and for the FD2 to have balls & "power" I needed to have the gain where it didn't sound clean anymore. Does that make sense?

The Tone Pump was able to have tons of power & balls & really fatten up the tone without introducing any grittiness or rattyness. The sweet spot between zero gain & where you really start to hear distortion is the widest I have heard in ANY pedal - and David EXELS in that specific department.

The Burn Unit can also get those sweet semi clean tones, but the sweet spot is simply smaller and it starts to go into distortion earlier (but it still is a very smooth sweep). And of course, the BU goes further into searing distortion whereas the Tone Pump stops earlier (but still plenty of gain for my needs).

I have sold off most pedals I will never use, and I have not & will not sell the Burn Unit, even though it is not currently on my board. An extremely valuable & useful pedal for any guitar players arsenal IMHO. Oh- and I also kept that original FD2 which I love as well, just way different.
    ;)

10. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I'll throw in another vote for the Burn Unit. I've been using one now for 3 or 4 months and love it. The Dynamics contol gives a lot of tonal options. I currently have one channel set for med gain and the other for higher gain and have the Dynamics control set low for a smoother tone. I'm using mine with a Gries 5 (single ended 6V6 combo) and find myself using the BU a majority of the time for OD (I also have a Mojo Drive and Keeley Rat on my board - both great pedals as well).

11. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Once again, I agree and well said.

The original 3 knob TP replaced my '97 FD II.

12. gitfiddler

gitfiddler Member

The Tone Pump replaced my Fulldrive and I havent looked back! Much more of a clear sounding pedal with great chord seperation. Barber pedals are so easy to dial in great tones. Looking back at the fulldrive, I was constantly fighting it, looking for that sweet spot.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

How does the BU compare to an Xotic BB Preamp? I use an Egnater MOD 50 and have been trying to find something to hit my Fender modules for a different sound and also a way to hit my Marshall modules to give the leads more cream and smooth them out a little. Since I EQ my amp for a compromise of rhythm/lead I tend to always look for that little extra something for lead. I thought of maybe a very high end EQ pedal for the loop to add mids, volume for eads but if there is something quiet, smooth I can run up front that will provide more compression, and smooth the tone for leads that would be great. I haven't found it yet!

The problem however with hitting an already vranked Marshall tone up front is that you gain no volume.

14. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

I swindled a yellow lettered Burn Unit off one of my buds. I loved it to death, from clean boost to grind. It specializes in everything but metal. The sad part is I couldn't convince him to sell it to me. He took it back and instantly fell in love with it like he never had before.