Barber Custom Cool on the way

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axe-maniac, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

I just ordered one from Pedalgeek.com, they have one more I think. Looking forward to this one, sounds like it could be a real winner and I have been very happy with my LTD-SR and LTD v2. I will post a review when I get it. It has to get all the way to Aus so it may be a few days before I can post the review.

I should also mention that Pedalgeek are a first class operation. I emailed them a week ago asking if they would be getting the Custom Cool and they told me that they would have them within a week. I told them i would keep an eye on their web site. So this morning I get up and find an email from Dan @ pedalgeek telling me that they just got two and one has my name on it if I want. How good is that? I never asked them to let me know when they had them but they did anyway. Pedalgeek gets 10/10 for service.

2. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Looking forward for a review

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

+1 Any comparisons to the different versions of the LTD, not to mention the Small Fry (since the CC is supposedly a marriage of the LTD SR and a SF) would be most welcome.

4. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I have had this pedal for about a month now. It is an excellent OD. I have only explored 10% of what it can probably do. I have been using it with my Nocaster into an Allen Accomplice (Fender BF type circuit). I have been keeping the toggle in the middle position and not been using the tone or dynamics knobs pulled up.

I generate a very responsive low to medium gain type tone, probably similar to what a LTD-SR can generate. The pedal is very versatile, a tweakers delight. I find it to have a very open and uncompressed sound that I like. I can claw a chord lightly and it will sound clean and dig in on a single note and have it break-up naturally.

It sounds different from my KOT (it sounds great using the KOT yellow channel to boost it down the single chain) and my OD-9 Silver. I think its a keeper and need to find some time to explore more of its capabilities.

Bob

5. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

How would you describe the differences?

6. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Let me play them side by side tonight and I'll chime in.

7. wleeds

wleeds Member

Can you post some clips?

8. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I just spent about twenty minutes comparing the B-Custom Cool to the AM KOT v.4. I was playing my CS Nocaster NOS into my Allen Accomplice with the Master wide open with the volume set at about 2 so the amp is sounding clean with no pre-amp distortion, but has enough volume to move some air.

Its always difficult to describe tone, but I'll take a stab at it (I have no microphone or video capability at this point in time). A couple of disclaimers to put these statements in context to be fair:

- Keep in mind these comments relate to a 6L6 BF style amp
    - I am only comparing my favorite settings on each.
    - Both pedals are extremely flexible and I have not tapped into a 10% of what they can do so these are NOT full reviews but a subjective comparison of two pedals at a single setting
    - These old ears don't hear as well as they use to (especially HF content)

AM KOT v.4 Settings (Both sides engaged):
    (Yellow)
    - Volume 11:00
    - Gain 3:00
    - Tone 1:00
    (Red)
    - Gain 3:00
    - Tone 1:00

Barber B-Custom Cool Settings:
    - Tone 12:00 (Down Position)
    - Dynamics 11:00 (Down Position)
    - Gain 2:00
    -Toggle Middle Position

EQ of Tone: Both pedals are fairly balanced to the amp's EQ. The Barber is slightly brighter than the KOT that has some darkness to it. No mid-range hump like a TS-9/808 (B-Custom Cool can do this with a pull of the tone control). Both pedals produce clear distorted chords or single notes in the bass register (E and A strings). If I had to pick which is more neutral, I'd guess the Barber, but its subtle. I also believe that I hear more high frequency harmonic content with the Barber.

Dynamics and Touch Sensitivity: Both pedals excel here. The KOT has more picking range in terms of range attack before it totally goes over the edge. The Barber will play clean, but at these settings goes over the edge a bit faster. Both are very tube amp-like in this regard.

Sustain: Both provide descent sustain with the Amp/Guitar combo. The KOT provides a bit more sustain, even though at these settings the Barber is slightly more distorted.

Character of Overdrive: Both provide a moderate level of smooth overdriven tone with some compression. I find the KOT to be slightly smoother.

Subjective Euphonics: There is something about the stacked circuit of the KOT (OD First followed by Boost) that just sounds "bigger" and "more alive" at the same volume as either just playing the "Red" channel of the KOT alone or the B-Custom Cool alone. I actually like the B-Custom Cool better stacked with the KOT "Yellow" channel than by itself. I believe that the "Yellow" channel of the KOT provides this. I frequently use it on its own when I just want a small amount of OD (amp set hotter using UA).

All this being said, the B-Custom Cool is an excellent pedal. Very natural sounding and dynamic. I believe there are probably a ton of sounds to be harvested by those who are tonefreaks and have patience (4 internal trim pots as well!). Additionally, when you open it up it is beautifully manufactured. It still has a place on my pedalboard.

I hope that gives you some sense,

Bob

9. sandman

sandman Member

is the layout prety much the same as Small Fry? CC's got an extra push-pull pot doesn't it?

how about CC vs SF soundwise?

10. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Tone and Dynamics can be pulled out, 3 position toggle effects OD mode + 4 internal trim pots...more of a SF + LTD-SR + features