Barber DD/DC - Direct Drive Dual Channel - amazing

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by el34junior, Jan 20, 2015.

1. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

I have spent enough time with the DD/DC to give decent review.
    The V2 Direct Drive (green led with the push/pull tone knob & no trim pots) has been my favorite OD pedal for years. I do not love all Barber overdrive pedals for various reasons, but I've held on to my V2 DD for about 6 years now.
    The DD/DC is really amazing. It's transparent on both channels. It does what it's supposed to. Low gain DD & regular. The mid knob could be what puts it over the top. The best thing about this pedal is the same thing with the 1/2 Gainer, you're not stacking 2 pedals on top of each other for leads or needed volume. Like most Barber pedals there's a ton of extra volume on tap if needed. Unity volume with your amp runs at about 12 to 1 o'clock.
    For me this pedal picks up where the 1/2 Gainer left off. I could never bond with that pedal like I expected.
    This is the pedal I've been waiting for. Glad I pulled the trigger..!

2. bridge66

bridge66 Member

Are these still being made? Would love to know how to get one, looks great!

3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

How does the Compact Direct Drive compare?

4. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

We have a few more weeks of production left. We only build 8-10 per week tops. We have a lot of other work in the custom-shop, so, whenever we make limited runs the stock is released over a few months instead of all at once.

5. bridge66

bridge66 Member

6. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

Pardon my ignorance coz I have not owned any barber pedals (i know, crazy right!), but are these "2" pedals good for an alraedy dirty amp or an amp on the edge of breakup? or are they only good for a pristine clean amp?

I've always heard great things about the DD, so I am interested to try this out...

I am planning to use it as a 2-stage overdrive, into an already dirty amp mostly... so i would set one side to a mild boost and the other side for an over the top boost.
    would this pedal work well in this application, or are there other barber pedals better for this kind of thing? thanks.

7. tanee

tanee Member

8. el34junior

I'm pretty certain this pedal will work with any amp setup. The older Direct Drives are an underrated pedal. It gets labeled as a Marshall sounding pedal. When the drive is down it's pretty damn transparent. Almost a clean boost. At some point the old full sized Barber pedals might make a comeback. Not a big fan of the Compact Direct Drive.. It's still better than 95% of the Overdrives in captivity..

ozuna78 likes this.
  9. el34junior

The DD/DC is far superior..

10. bridge66

bridge66 Member

Just got mine and put it on the board today. First impressions are that it is exactly what I was hoping it would be and more. Wasn't able to try it out at gig volumes, but it still sounded great at low volumes. Played it through my old Twin and loved it. First Barber pedal, and most likely, not my last. Construction is super solid. Didn't even know that they are put together not far from my home in Lancaster PA. Thank you Mr. Barber for making such good products (and I still chuckle at some of the puns you have contributed on some of these forums). Can't wait to crank it up!

11. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

How so?

12. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Just got mine in the mail today but haven't had time to try it yet. Going to have to wait until tomorrow.

[​IMG]

13. muletrane

^^^^ Thanks!

Very happy with this board. Can't wait to really dig in to the Barber tomorrow. I loved my Compact DD!

I'm gonna try running it at 18v and see how that works out. I have an open 18v tap on my ISO 5 so I might as well.

14. muletrane

Man this pedal absolutely rocks at 18v! Went back and forth from 9-18v and 18 was the clear winner. It plays real nice with my KoT as well! Pretty blown away by this one. :)

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Haven't tried mine yet at 18V but it's still sound great at 9V

16. muletrane

Oh yeah, definitely sounds great both ways. Great tones no matter where the knobs are set. The mids and tone knob work real well together. Just a great rockin OD! Sounds huge!

Played it for over an hour today and time flew by! Didn't feel the need to adjust the trimpots after either. :)

17. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Love the DD/DC! Great pedal! I agree it sounds better than the compact, more open sounding. Works well with clean or edge of breakup amp settings.

18. muletrane

Day 2 with the pedal and I'm preferring the harmonics switch down for most of my playing, but if I want the notes to sound more full and really BLOOM I'll switch it upwards. Love that switch! This pedal really stacks nicely with my fuzz boxes as well. Which is a big plus!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  19. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

So that is the harmonics switch. I just got mine like an hour ago, and the manual didn't say what the switch did. Big difference in sound though. A great pedal.

20. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

Haven't used this dd/Dc but I can say the DDSS is still in my to 5 favorite od/distortion pedals ever. Barber is popular. But still heavily underrated. In my opinion barber has some drives that should be held to higher regard than other more widely popular (and good) stuff. The DD line in particular. Just great stuff. These are just opinions. Cheers!!