Barber DD (I think I found my tone)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theHoss, Mar 10, 2006.

1. theHoss

theHoss Member

I have fallen in love with my BDD. I bought one a year or two back and ended up trading it away. Later, I found a used one on ebay for cheap and bought it back.

Chain: I put the tone press behind it 535>>DD>>TP>>AD-9

The above chain is in my effects loop of the Lehle 1@3. Anytime I need my overdriven lead tone, I can kick it on.

I either use the DD alone, for a raw open, yet harmonically rich biting lead. Or I add the TP which gives it even more cream and sustain (and suprisingly controlled feed-back and moderate levels). Then if I want BIG ampient lead tone I kick on the AD-9.

I really can't say enough about finding my current go to lead tone, so I thought I would share my findings with TGPers who could appreciate it.

Settings:

TP all controls at 1:30
    BDD: Volume Unity, Tone (phat switch pulled) 11:00, Gain 3:00
    AD9: 300ms, single slap back

(FYI: I play a Heritage 535 into a 1973 vibrolux.)

If you guys have the pedals, I would be curious what others think.

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

You run the Direct Drive in the effects loop of an amp?

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Okay - I didn't know what a Lehle is so I thought it was an amp.

I have a Direct Drive also that I like although it's not on my board at the moment.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Right there with you hoss, The DD is an awesome pedal that works very nicely with my amps and Guitar. I also have the Silver LTD and Launch Pad on my board and actually today my Tone Press should be here, Cant wait for the Small Fry to be released!

6. theHoss

theHoss Member

I figured there were other BBD fans out there. How is the Silver LTD? I just ordered another DD from a fellow TGPer for a low gain setting (I was thinking about getting the LTD for that application). I alos think the DD is a very responsive pedal. My guitar volume can control the pedal pretty well. I think more so than many of the other pedal I have tried. And the price tag?? I really don't know a better deal.

7. jlagrassa

The Silver LTD is awesome for low to medium gain tones, it is more open and raw sounding with flatter mids than the DD and just like the DD it is very responsive to your guitars volume knob. I also like stacking the 2 for more gain:dude
    I use the Launch Pad last in my chane and use that as a solo boost!

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I have one of the super early ones, back when barber hand wrote the logos, and there were no internal trim pots. Its the Shiznit. I used to use it all over the place, moveing knobs left and right. There really isnt a bad tone in the thing. However, since adding a lot of other gain pedals, Ive minimized my adjusting of the DD.

I run mine at 12:00, 3:00, 12:00 and use it as my clean tone 90 percent of the time.... it sounds amazing into an AC30

9. Ken

Ken Member

I just picked up a new DD this week and so far I am very impressed!

Nice smooth Overdrive tones with a marshall type crunch to boot!

10. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

11. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I second that!

12. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

I use the DD a lot and stack it with a black LTD for more gain. Great stuff for very little cash.

13. jlagrassa

Just got my Tone Press today, Love it with the Silver LTD. I also used it for solos with the DD and got a nice beefy tone with a lot of sustain!

14. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I run my tone press at 3:00, 12:00, 5:00 and use it as a kick in the pants fat boost. works alot better than any fat boost Ive tried.. Sounds fantastic following my Lady Stardust vox tonebender clone, and cleans the house with the DD.... basically gives the DD a thicker second gain stage.

I prefer to run my Tone Press before my Direct Drive. I dont really use it like a compressor (as I said, I use mine more as a fat boost than a compressor.)

15. jlagrassa

I will have to check those settings out and experiment a little because I've never been much of a Comp user but I can find some great uses for it, I also run it 1st in my chain. My band plays a few Pretenders tunes so I tried the Tone Press with the Silver LTD a little Chorus and delay and was very happy with the results!