Barber DD similar to Plexitone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JC-Tonequest, Nov 30, 2005.

1. JC-Tonequest

JC-Tonequest Supporting Member

Just wondering if anyone has compared the Barber DD or Burn Unit to the Carl Martin Plexitone? Are they similar in tone. I already have a Plexitone that I really like and am interested in a Barber DD but don't want to have two pedals that are too similar.

Thanks

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I would say you can get that tone with the direct Drive, It wont have the max drive of the Plexitone unless you get the mod board Dave is now making for his pedals but the Direct Drive still will rock out nicely.

The DD worked better for me than the Plexitone........... I use Fender amps!

3. what?

what? Member

I've got both plexitone and DDSS and they sound very different. DDSS have a very strong mid that just stays whatever you do, not that its bad, but its just not my sound. DDSS for me is more of a high gain overdrive while the plexitone is a distortion.

4. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Well the plexi is not a distortion.
    It is an od, no distortion circuit in there:)

5. what?

what? Member

sorry what I meant was that the DDSS works as an overdrive for me (e.g. low gain grainy blues sound) but not high gain distortion and the plexitone is more of a distortion for my usage like heavy power chords and stuff, lower gain sounded a bit shrill.

6. Rid

Rid Senior Member

It is still not a distortion...and it is not all that very highgain.
    What amp did you play it through?

7. what?

what? Member

Marshall JCM 900 half stack or any stacks...open back combo just cant handle this pedal. I always set my amp on clean. We're talking about plexitone here right?even on the first channel I've never up the gain pass noon, at 9-10 it's beautiful crunch and second channel I set about 11-12 and get a really mean distortion. I wouldn't say that the plexitone is a low gain pedal. "Spandex" is a good description for it :dude

8. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Heh well yeah it just follows the eq of the amp, and some have too much bottom on their own, anf if you take the bottom out of the plexi the sound will go away:)

9. what?

what? Member

Yeah it does follow the EQ of the amp, but it also one of the few pedal that has got a distinct sound yeah?the most distinct for me is the glassy highs...

10. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Yes it was designed to be clearsounding.
    So it does not work with all amps..like other pedals, some combo's does not like it, due to flabby lows or very bright highs.
    Same with heads.
    What speakers does your combo have?

11. what?

what? Member

I've got the bluesbreaker reissue, the speakers are 2 celestion greenbacks...I think the fartiness of the bass is due to the nature of the chasis being open back...

12. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Nah it is the Greenbacks that do not like openbacks, especially if it is the 20 or 25 watts ones...they are always abit flabby in open cabs.
    because I have used a JTM45 head with a closed back cab with greenbacks 25 watts speakers.
    No flabby bottom.

13. what?

what? Member

I've got another combo which is a laney LC-50, it has got one 12" H&H speaker, what would you recommend for a speaker replacement?it's an open back as well...I missed my 4x12 :( ....any speakers that would hold the bass strong?

14. Rid

Rid Senior Member

G12H Celestions:)

15. what?

what? Member

G12H-75?I had those in my 1960A, sounded too sterille for me, I like a healthy dose of mids

16. Rid

Rid Senior Member

G12H 30's;)