Barber DD vs. Timmy: compare please.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by plowkraut, Dec 16, 2005.

1. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

I'm curious to hear some comparisons. What can you tell me about the level of gain and EQ sections on these pedals?

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I really loved my barber, the od was a little smoother than the timmy IMO, however, the timmy just made the notes bloom (I love that!) and has a heck of an eq! I even love using it as a clean boost or add a touch of grit, and I have come to really love the not so smooth od.

3. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

What do you mean by "not so smooth OD"? THanks.

Plow

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Well not so smooth to my ears is a little crunchier. Hmmm kinda like eating cap n crunch as compared to rice crispies(not the crackling sound... the texture) Timmy would be the capn crunch :) and something even smoother would be the zendrive (kinda like santana smooooth) (pop tart i guess) Sorry for the strange comparisons. by saying i like the not so smooth overdrive i mean i have come to like my capn crunch ya know.....

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

The comparison of a DD to a Timmy is sort of apples & oranges as they are designed for very different tones. The Timmy is low gain, uncompressed and very transparent. The DD is high(er) gain, use a good bit of compression and has a mid-hump, not like a TubeScreamer, but a accentuated mid-range nevertheless. At VERY low drive levels, and with some tweaking of the internal bass trimmer, a DD can get into the same territory as a Timmy but that's again, not its intended use. The DD excels at higher gain fusion-style tones, especially with the Fat Harmonics mode engaged. Think old "Talk To Your Daughter" Robben Ford. It will cope good Soldano to Marshall OD tones as well. Definitely NOT something a Timmy was intended to do. The Barber Silver LTD on the other hand get damn close to the Timmy sound never quite achieving the same level of transparency and "grit" but pretty darn close.

6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Another HUGE point in favor of the Timmy is the EQ section. It's what sets the Timmy apart from everything else in terms of flexability and control.
    A

7. Don L

Don L Member

Sounds great, David! :dude

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ohhh yeah babe.

9. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

damn!
    that's an overdrive pedal?