Barber Direct Drive and Box of Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I am looking to complement (not replace) my Direct Drive. One of the pedals I am considering is the Box of Rock. Is there anyone out here who has/had both and can tell me if they are disimilar enough to have both.

Cheers,
    Christian

2. enditol

enditol Member

I had a DDSS I would say they are pretty different. The DD had more gain and a different midrange focus, more modern sounding I suppose. The BOR is fatter, has less gain and includes the excellent boost function as well.

3. 89strat

89strat Member

I would think that they're both in the same territory. I had a DD and thought it was pretty marshall sounding. However, I like the way it sounded with my sparkle drive either in front or behind it.

4. Dave

Dave Member

That's pretty accurate. I would add that the BoR has a bigger(some would say too big), looser(some would say too loose) low end. They're very different IMO.

5. joemesser

joemesser Member

I think they're very different. The BOR really sounds like a vintage Marshall. It's uncanny to me. It has that sag thing going on and blooms slower, sweeter. The mosfet thing really makes for very complex and rich harmonics. The boost is really awesome!

The DD sounds pretty much like a clearer TS with more gain. I do like that dumble type setting on that one.