Barber Direct Drive & Gain Changer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by agentcooper2001, May 11, 2020.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I'm very late to the Barber party. Recently switched up my drive section and 2 of the new pedals I added were the newest versions of the Gain Changer SR & Direct Drive. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. As someone who has, probably like many of you, had all of the "it" drive pedals over the years, these two are at the top for me. I'm using a retro-sonic distortion & EH op amp muff for heavier sounds, but the combination of the gain changer and direct drive will do damn near anything I want. Super versatile pedals!

Anyone else using these as your main drives?

James Knox, fretless, cratz2 and 6 others like this.
  2. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

3. vindrewski

vindrewski Member

I recently dusted off my 1/2 Gainer (similar to the GC). Holy cow that is a fantastic sounding pedal. Just blew a TGP "Hall of Fame" OD off of my board that I've had on there for a decade. Can't believe I had that thing packed away.

F12, Kevsonic and MeisterD like this.
  4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I recently sold my Barber DDC v4 to make room to try another drive pedal. The DDC seemed pretty nice, but I felt it might not be a perfect fit.
    Then I played a gig last night and at gig volume holy smokes killer! Oh well, had to box it up this morning.
    I may try the GC to be more of a lighter gain pedal that gets more overall action in my rig.

5. johan

johan Member

Found a Direct Drive recently. My favorite Marshall-type pedal to date. It's the same as the pic above.
    I would love to try a Gain Changer SR

fretless likes this.
  6. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

The GC is a super flexible pedal that blurs the lines between OD and distortion (for me). Very flexible and dynamic... in the lower gain toggle position it’s like another channel for your amp. It stacks well too and those toggles allow you to fit it to your amp/guitar combination (I live on the flat+fat setting).

I tried to bump it, but it’s locked in place on my small/jam board. I also love the pedal’s design/layout with the knobs and footswitch being far apart. Home run by DB! I finally stopped looking at other OD/dirt pedals. :aok

I haven’t tried the SR version. I wonder if I would like it more?!? :dunno

7. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

@DavidB makes some of the best available. These designs are proven and the customer service is superb.

PatrickE_FenderADV likes this.
  8. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

i only ever use one blaster type pedal.
    was the Nobels for a long time, not it’s the Barber. it’s great. more gain than i would ever need. sounds like the bypassed tone. love it!

9. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

CDD and GC have been the main part of my drive section since 2012. Tonepress has been in my rig in one form or another since 2001

Great products!

Cousin likes this.
  10. Cousin

Cousin Member

I did the trio of Direct Drive, Gain Changer and Tone Press for a few years and it was pretty great, my only complaint was the Gain Changer didn't seem to get along with my Roland Blues Cube Stage the way I wanted it to for low gain, it sounded kind of stiff and not fluid. Stupidly I sold it to my buddy who is now getting amazing sounds with it through his Princeton Reverb, it really sounds like part of the amp. I picked up a Vibrolux last summer and I'm thinking I should try a Gain Changer again now that I have some tubes to pair it with.

11. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

Gain Changer is an extremely versatile pedal.....so happy to have discovered this pedal.:cool:

DesertSand56 and ToneProspector like this.
  12. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I’m really digging my CDD v4. Great pedal.

13. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

My experience with the Gain Changer is just with the most recent variety, and I found it extremely versatile and easy to dial in. While it does bigger drive and crunch well, I didn't have any trouble dialing in lower gain settings. I would give it another try.

DesertSand56 and Cousin like this.
  14. Snyderman

Snyderman Slinkyguitarnerd Silver Supporting Member

Me likey very much... One of my all time faves... Oh so spongy... (Gain at 9:00/ Tone at 10:00)

15. stonecabin

stonecabin Member

I may get a GC to try with my new Winfield Elizabeth. It's a blackface style mid powered amp. What works with my tweed amps doesn't always work with it. How does the GC get along with Pro reverb style amps?!.

16. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Really digging my Direct Drive v4. Bought a Gain Changer a few weeks ago and it finally arrived this weekend, so I’ll hopefully get some quality time with them both in the next few days.

James Knox likes this.
  17. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Love my blackout GC, so much so that I was going to get another to pair with it for low/high gain tones. Ended up getting the DD v.3 instead for variety, but it's a little over the top for me. A little too compressed and aggressive, even with lower gain. A second GC is in my future eventually...

18. Grendel2000

Grendel2000 Supporting Member

I think I'm in the market for a GC SR...

I'm still working out the drive pedals on my board. I have a Sunface and a Greer Lightspeed that aren't going anywhere. I also have a Vick Tree of Life that I like a lot - it goes from beautiful cleans all the way to nicely compressed "modern" drive flavor that's very different from the fuzz and the Greer.

I added a Mooer Black Secret to explore the Rat territory as well as a Catalinbread Formula 5. I figured all together these give me a really wide variety of drive tones. What I'm realizing is that I think I'd rather aim for fewer drive pedals that are more versatile vs. specialized that work well in combination / stacked.

I figure if I sell the Formula 5 I'll pick up a GC SR to fill that spot. Seems like a VERY versatile pedal. It offers more gain than the Lightspeed, different (more classic rock) gain compared to the ToL and I'm guessing it would stack well with the Lightspeed as well.

I think I'm going to sell of the Mooer or try to trade it for a Mooer Elec Lady so I can start exploring the world of Flangers...

Anyone have experience with how the Lightspeed and Gain Changer play together?

19. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

A friend of mine who is a very good guitar player and makes lots of pickup demos says the Lightspeed sounds quite similar to the Gain Changer, you might have some crossover there, but I have not heard the Lightspeed myself.

20. Grendel2000

Grendel2000 Supporting Member

Interesting.

That may be good actually! I’d like to have more that the LS offers by itself but not a ton. Perhaps the LS stacked into the GC would be plenty?