Barber Direct Drive... how good and giggable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I have posted early but am narrowing down a direct drive for a tele into a clean fender tube amp for a thick distortion sound and good note hang time.

How much do you like your direct drive (pluses and minuses?) and do you gig with it.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

My DD is my lead tone. Love it. If you have a great amp that takes pedals well, get a DD with Mod Board and put a Burr Brown OPA2604 chip in it. Better mids and increase clarity, still has that singing lead tone. If you need the extra mids and compression keep the stock chip in there. Also try running the RC Booster before or after for exceptional clarity and a little more kick, bump the bass up on the RC too - it's cool because you can dial in the mod board and then use the RC as an additional gain and eq setting.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

The Small Fry ain't too shabby either, very versatile!

4. jb70

jb70 Member

i play a sadowsky custom tele through a tone king meteor 2 and have a barber dd mod board on my pedalboard. i used it for my med-high gain leads and it works great. i also do about 125 gigs a year and it always sounds great. i tried a crunch box for about a month over the summer but ended up going back to the dd. dave's pedals really sound amazing through blackface styled amps (especially the tone king).

5. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

My DD has ended my search for an overdrive pedal. It just sounds right through every amp. I run my amp at a hot clean level and the DD with everything at noon, tone knob pulled up for fat harmonics. Don't have the mod board yet but will be getting it soon. Killer pedal, for sure, and an incredible value -- I got mine for $100. If it were reintroduced as a new custom boutique overdrive similar to Landgraff or BJF pedals, the same internals put into a hand-painted box, it would sell for $500 on sound alone.

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I'm using my DD with my Bassman. Great tones. Since I got it, I have been on band hiatus...but will be gigging with it soon.

7. HHB

HHB Member

gigged a DD for over a year now, it's a great pedal w/ a tele and a tube amp!

8. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

very very very versatile pedal, especially with a mod board and when you start swapping chips. you can make it sound like a TS type if you really want to, but there are so many other possibilities.

don't forget that these can be run with 18v. i did that routinely because i'd hit it with another pedal to get a thicker and gainier sound when needed. the 18v really helped at that point, helps keep all that extra input from going to mush.

9. wleeds

wleeds Member

Loved the DD when I had it. It was my introduction to Barber's pedals. I wound up replacing it with a Small Fry only because it was a little more versatile for my needs.
    The OD's on my board no are: LTD-SR, LTD V2, and Small Fry.
    I gig with them all the time and they all cut through the mix nicely.:dude
    mark

10. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I just purchased a BUEQ from a TGP'r, and I've never had a pedal sound so good thru my DRRI. I've run the OCD, Zendrive, BoR, Bad Monkey etc. thru that amp, and the Barber pedal sounds the best. I have a test for my pedals, If they sound good thru a Fender DRRI, then they will sound amazing in my Goodsell 17, and this has been true.

11. Webfoot

Good to hear the overwhelming response for the DD. I think I am headed down that path. I've got another question but it's on clean boosts and will post that separately.

12. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

big barber fan...so with all these replies how would you all describe the sound?
    similar to the LTD but more gain? or maybe eternity like in the drive category?
    thanks !
    hope you dont mind the slight but hopefully related hijack..

13. wleeds

wleeds Member

DD definately more gain than the LTD's. LTD-V2 vs Eternity..? Kept the LTD, sold the Eternity. LTD cut through the mix.
    DD like a cranked Marshall. Small Fry can be tailored to suite most tastes, not as much gain as the DD though plenty on tap.

Like the earlier post said, if it sounds great through a DRRI, going to sound great through most everything else.

For a clean OD/boost check out the LTD-SR. This is a one of a kind pedal.

mark

14. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I had one for awhile,nice pedal but a little too Tube Screamer sounding to my ears. I`m now using a Fulltone OCD.

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Hard to go wrong with any of the Barber line, especially the DD. I have had a couple of DD's and I never thought they sounded like a TS. They do thier own thang IMHO.

16. cmaciag

cmaciag Supporting Member

I strongly recommend the DD. I the SS version and have been using it for years. Not TS at all to me. It's my marshall in a box. It is compressed , and has great tones. So it's a bit easier to solo with... you can be a little slopy cause the compression cleans it up some.

I also have an LTD silver. Much more open. Heavy leads= dd.

both are fabulous pedals.

17. Webfoot

For a new one do you have to order the mod board or is it already included?

18. Faderjockey

Faderjockey Member

IT is a Marshall in box... I always say that. I gigged a bunch with an SS and my singer used a newer DD.. Sounded great. I was using Silver LTD for lower gain... But now in my studio have been digging the SR and DD LG. I love the LG with p90's.

19. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I'm thinking of picking one up too. Tried one with a Suhr Tele through a Dr. Z Maz at the shop, and the tone was great. It was a little bright for me, but that can probably fixed with the internal adjustment. I really liked the lower gain setting of about 9:00-10:00 o'clock. I've found out that TS-style pedals really don't work for me, and the DD will probably be a good match to my BUEQ.

20. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

Can a DD be made to sound Voxy?