Barber Direct Drive or OCD for Marshall-esque tones from Fender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by padavis, Mar 26, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Member

I am stuck with my Fender Pro Reverb and thats ok as its cleans are sweet! So now which pedal for the best Marshall-esque tones? I read some past reviews saying the Barber Direct Drive does it and the clips from their site are great. The OCD seems to be a mainstay too and to be honest this is about as much money I want to spend. So other options are great as long as they are fairly easy to get and less than 150. I have had a Katana, SD-1, and Mod Plus TS9 which are great but still not quite what I am looking for.
    Thanks for any help,
    Patrick

2. Yossi

Yossi Member

I have both the OCD and the Barber DD. They are both great pedals.
    I think that you would be happy either way. The Barber is less money but not less pedal. Here is a link to some recordings of some jamming that I did using the Barber :http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=660719&T=7011
    I haven't done any with the OCD as I just got my Sony a couple of days ago.

3. 4styx

4styx Member

If you want a clean Fender to sound like a Marshall a (Tonebone)Hot British is the one that's guaranteed to get you there.You'll have to buy used though.If you get one put a Tungsol 12ax7 in place of the JJ it comes with(noticable difference).

4. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have a MusicMan 65/212, similar to a Pro Reverb, and used to have a Deluxe Reverb. I got an OCD right when they came out (so apparently several versions ago from what I can tell) and it sounded fizzy to me so I sold it. I had a Barber Direct Drive at the same time and still have it. To me, they are the quintessential pedal to use for Marshallesque medium-overdrive tones with a clean Fender amp.

5. bynt

bynt Member

I'd like to try the Barber myself. I used to run an OCD through my Twin and got some smokin' overdrive. In fact it was my DISTORTION for a lone time.

6. madscientist

madscientist Member

I've got a Blackbird 30 (sounds like a cross between a DR and a Pro Reverb), and my primary OD is a V.4 OCD. Gives really good plexi tones with excellent bass response. If you're looking for marshall tones, the OCD will do it, no doubt at all.

7. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

I use a BB Preamp and it sure sounds like old school Marshall tones on my DRRI to me.

8. Snakum

Snakum Member

I still feel that the OCD, Crunchbox, and V-Stack were way closer to actual Marshall tones than the Direct Drive. The DD was, I thought, a very nice, warm, lo gain OD, but I didn't hear Marshall, at least not in the one I tried about five years ago or so. Hmmmmmm ...:confused:

9. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

The DD and OCD are great pedals, no doubt. But the Wampler Plexirive nails the Marshall sound to a "T" for me. Check that out. (I think someone just put theirs on ebay. I, for one, am keeping mine).

10. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

What is it about the OCD that I don't get? They don't seem to have any sustain and it seems like you have to 'fight' the pedal to get it to sing.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Maybe you got a bad one. OCD is one of the best pedals I own out of the 50 or so I've been through. I have a DD w/mod board but it's thicker, darker and better at lead than rhythm IMO. Both are keepers.

I have a Plexidrive coming for the authentic JTM45 tone.

12. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

I see you haven't played a current version.

Paul

13. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've compared the OCD (v.1,v.2, and v.3) to the Barber DD into my Super Reverb and while the Barber is a fine pedal, it does not have that "amplike" feel the OCD has. It sounds more like a pedal whereas the OCD seems to blend into your amp.
    I settled on v.3 although I liked my earlier v.1 and my friend's v.2 as well.

14. madscientist

madscientist Member

+1

Had a V.2...not nearly enough sustain...picked up a V.4, EXACTLY what I was looking for!!

15. Analog Assassin

There's that much difference? I thought Fuller just changed around some pot values. It seemed hard to tame the highs on the pedal I tried also.

16. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I think the Box of Rock does it for me. I have had OCD, Crunchbox and Barber DD. Sold all the others and kept the BoR.

Jack

17. Sikor

Sikor Member

What's not to get? "To sing" is not for everybody THE most important characeristic of the effect. At least not for me.

18. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

+1 on the BB into the DRRI.

you leave the BB on lower gain settings, maybe 9 or 10 o clock. Gives you that nicely overdriven "BluesBreaker" sound. Then you kick on a boost into the BB and you get the crunchy early JCM 800 sounds, or like my late 70 JMP MV.

When you crank the gain on a BB, it gets more compressed than a marshall (ie. the need for the boost pedal instead)

19. Analog Assassin

So it's more for rhythm? I never really thought of that. I guess you'd have to stack it with something else for leads then?

20. Sikor

Sikor Member

Once again: does lead = automatically singing tone? I know that it is very popular, but it is not a given rule.
    And yes, I use OCD mostly for rhytm, HP-mode, gain 10-12 o'clock. Love it :)