Barber Direct Drive users.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Jan 4, 2006.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Does the DD really do Marshally tones plus Dumbly tones with the harmonics knob pulled out? How much gain does it have?

2. HHB

HHB Member

I have an old hand lettered one and it sounds fantastic, I would agree w/ the Marshall/Dumble mid pull assesment ( as much as any pedal can do an amp tone ) I use mine w/ the mid down ( Marshall ) drive and volume just over half, tone just under half, this produces a really authentic classic rock tone, think Bad Co or Southern Rock. I use a Maxon OD808 to boost for solo's or the metalish stuff but in a studio situation I could just use more DD gain, it has enough to do 80's metal/fusion.

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I agree with the above assessment, It sounds great for classic rock 70's marshall type stuff and ESPECially good infront of a rat (I had a keeley Rat2) for 80's metal stuff. I don't know about the dumble stuff because I don't have any experience really with dumbles or Robben Ford. It does the marshall thing very well

Jason Barkers clips over at www.steelbender.com might help you greatly.

4. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Ditto. I just got it and I am so happy with it. Ive been downsizing my rig for about 6 months now and I had a tough time finding good overdrives. The DD has more gain than what I need but thats fine because when I get my timmy, Ill be using it (dd) for full overdrive. So far its the closest pedal Ive tried that has sounded like my bogner and Im almost hesitant to say I liked the pedal more. I dont know about the Dumble sound though, Im not familiar with that amp. But I definately hear marshall tones. Also Its VERY transparent. The most realistic overdrive Ive owned. I have the newer DD model and I havent played the others. From my understanding the DDSS can do metal better than the DD. You might want to look into a rat if your not happy with the DD. But get a vintage rat not the reissues or mod. Ive heard lots of complaints about the mods. Ive played the vintage rat and it sounds amazing. Not going to make this post any longer, PM if you got more questions.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

It definitely does the Hot Rodded Marshall tone, never played a Dumble so I cant compare to that one but overall the DD is a very nice pedal! The DD really kicks ass when I goose it with the Silver LTD!

6. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I've been using the same boring original run Barber DD for a LONG TIME, like 3 or 4 years now. I've thought about ordering another, but I heard David changed the circuit once he started using the stamped graphics versus the old hand written graphics (which are completely worn off of mine).

I think I may get a Silver LTD though, those look interesting.

As far as the original question the DD does great with old school Marshall tones, and to my ear, it does nice with the Larry Carlton type tone when used with a 335 guitar and a responsive tube amp, plus a player that knows his way around a guitar.

7. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Hi, y'all.

I own an older DD with a trim bass pot and an Overdrive Special based amp. I never owned a real Marshall so reference is from records and try outs only. Just to be clear, my amp is set up much more to the Carlton zone than Ford's. People often quote them together but to me these are very different tones.

I agree the DD has a strong Marshall-esque quality to it, especially without the 'fat harmonics' mode. I like it a lot to give me a different flavour of lead. It is a bit more raw and percussive than the harmonics mode. When the 'fat harmonics' mode is engaged, sustain is increased and the tone becomes more complex, with a lot of overtones, and yet it is all smoothed out. I guess that's the Dumble-esque feel people claim. Resembles Robben's tone A BIT.

If this pedal is to be compared with an amp, I'd say Marshall it is. I really don't think it is such an obvious comparison when comes to Dumble, but still it has that certain undefined character that Dumbles are recognized for.

I agree with bluesbreaker59. I CAN do a bit of Carlton's, especially his old gainy stuff, but I don't think it is dynamic enough.

Having said all this, I must add that this pedal is extremely versatile and these two tricks are far from everything it can do - although I do believe it excels at lead tones for my taste. I don't use it much cause I get my lead from the amp and my rhythm and low gain leads from a black LTD (haven't tried many but so far, my favourite unit).

Hope this helps...

All the Best

8. Dirge

Dirge Member

HHB put it well with the Southern Rock comparison, it does that sound really well. You can also get a mod board added that will give you more gain and a couple of cool options for about $50-60.

For Dumbly, I'd get one of the new Burn Units instead.

9. princeton

princeton Member

Well, i have a LTD, DD and DDSS and i can say the DD does the Marshall tone. The DDSS has just a little more gain and highs with the tone full down.
    I really like to pair them with my LTD, with the gain full up at the LTD and the gain on the DD(harmonics on) or DDSS very low.
    They make a very good couple !

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

Lou,

I also have two of the newer Barber DD pedals. While I am not sure about the Dumbly side of things (I never really try to get that sound), it does nail the Marshall stuff real nicely. Let me know when you get your amp, and I can send you one to try.

B

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

Gonna take you up on that Dave! We should talk soon.

12. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i took a shot at dumble-like tones using my direct drive if you're interested.

if you scroll down on my clips page you'll find "coyote dumble" clips with the gear used in te description.