Barber Direct Drive V3 is the real deal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cg, Oct 7, 2018.

1. stratohiker

stratohiker Supporting Member

You could do what some do (cough Timmy cough cough). Different colors targeted for dealers who wanna do that and have their own color.
    I must admit, some colors do appeal to me more than others but......If I want that pedal/circuit, I don't care what color it is.
    And, I think you might even sell more pedals, if you had some color options for those that this is important too.

2. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

I'd never get enough orders per dealer, minimum order for a color is 100pcs, I'm lucky to get 15pcs from a dealer. The color thing has gotten crazy, when I was gigging in the 80s if I wanted the sound of a pedal the color was not part of the decision, now I have people email me saying "that color is unuseable to me". It's getting pretty wacky, we still stomp on this "art" at the end of the day. :D

3. stratohiker

I understand all that.......just sayin' that in the boutique world.....colors are a thang.
    And it is crazy for sure......I see a lotta brands comin' out now, where the paint job or the style/flair of the case seems to be one of their main selling points.. :p
    But, of course you gotta do what makes sense for your Biz.
    Doesn't matter so much to me. I'm never gonna buy a pedal because of its color.....

4. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

So would V4 be good for boosting a cranked Marshall? I own a DDSS (Circa 2003) and it's been my main pedal for boosting my Marshall since I got it, I love it. I am really interested in the V4 CDD but I don't use clean amps so would it be better suited to a "Pedal Platform" situation rather than as a gain boost for a dirty amp?

5. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

IDK, that's a tough call, the early models have less bottom which is good for pushing distorted amps.

6. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Yeah, my DDSS absolutely crushes, I don't know how you tuned the EQ on that pedal but man, instant old-school Slayer/Celtic Frost/Iron Maiden tone when I use it to push my Marshall. I've mentioned it on here before about when all the "Peavey 5150" Metal kids heard my DDSS/Marshall combo their jaws hit the floor (Ah, the magic of midrange). So I don't need to replace it at all, it's staying on my main board until I die, but all this talk of the V4 is giving me G.A.S. :)

jpagey, AceBSpankin and David B like this.
  7. Regan

Regan Member

I don't understand the obsession with how a pedal looks. If it looks good and sounds great it goes on my board. If it sounds great but looks like a piping hot turd...it still goes on my board.

jpagey and stilesg57 like this.
  8. stratohiker

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  9. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

Canada Post delivered by Gain Changer SR today - put in the mail on Monday, arrived today, and with no duty or taxes COD! my Direct Drive v3 has a new playmate.

stratohiker and David B like this.
  10. stratohiker

My DD made it in 2 days. On the board and ready to go.....:cool:

David B and cg like this.
  11. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

V4 Direct Drive just arrived yesterday, I’ve never owned one before but have chased MIAB pedals for far too long not to have tried a DD. Can’t wait to spend some time with it this weekend. The three-way toggles feel great and the one-page manual does a great job of describing all the features in this cool little pedal and encourages you to put them to use!

12. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Spent the weekend with it and wow, there are an INSANE amount of different sounds in this pedal. I’m already having trouble keeping track of all the different great setting combos I’m finding with different amps and guitars.

This is one of the rare pedals where I could justify having two just to keep them each on very different presets. Thank you Barber!

13. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Mine came yesterday. I have a bad head cold so I couldn’t tell much yesterday. I feel better today and my ears are less stuffed, so I got some good time in with it.

All 3 gain settings sound great. My Barber BUSS is set up for high gain, so this one sounds great in either low gain mode with middle mids position, or 4 input gain mode with left mids position. The 4 input setting doesn’t sound like a pedal-it’s a combo turned up.

Combined with my Gain Changer, the BUSS and Direct Drive V4 all sound distinct, but complimentary.

There are so many great sounds in these 3 pedals.

14. stratohiker

Stuck down in GA this week, working........
    Can't wait to get back home, and try out the different permutations you guys are talking about.
    This past weekend, all I had time to do was, set it for the mid gain sound I needed for the gig.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  15. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

There was a Black Friday sale? Maybe a good thing I missed it... been thinking about that V4! :)

16. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

It's a matter of degrees. Mostly I'm indifferent but I couldn't do the poo.

Regarding the CDD v4, I realize it does have silver knobs to distinguish it from the CDD v2 (which I own), but were there to be an alt color available of the v4, I would take that over the racing green, just to further distinguish the two.

17. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

The black friday ones used the blems from the previous silver/grey run, he might have some left.

18. stratohiker

That's what I got. Little more difficult to see the knob settings in the moment on stage (maybe just for us codgers) but.....First world probs.
    I do like the look more than the green though. But, would take either one any day :D

David B likes this.
  19. ranchofm

ranchofm Member

Hahaha! Wow, that is so Portlandia. I admit I am picky when it comes to aesthetics, but if I have a great sounding pedal that's ugly, I just hit it with some bass boat glitter paint.

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  20. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Supporting Member

Same for me until last year.

...and now I own three different versions (v4 arrived yesterday). I don't need three. Yet somehow it's difficult to let one go. All subtle variations of awesomeness.

David B, stratohiker and stilesg57 like this.