Barber Direct Drive V3 is the real deal

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
I've seriously thought about including a bass trim pot and labeling it "factory use only, not for end-users", and then the people that like that stuff would of course fiddle with it anyway, and the people who freak over tweaking options that are not topside on small boxes could relax knowing that it is not for them. :D
i agree and if that is how you like your pedal i think you should do it that way

InkblotNebula

I've seriously thought about including a bass trim pot and labeling it "factory use only, not for end-users", and then the people that like that stuff would of course fiddle with it anyway, and the people who freak over tweaking options that are not topside on small boxes could relax knowing that it is not for them. :D
Put me on the list for DDv5, that's a really really good idea.

Last edited:

stratohiker

Supporting Member
If it exists, I want to fiddle with it.
And I wouldn't fall for it.....if it was a vibe pedal......yeah, then you'd have me on that :D
Or, do some large case models for a bit more $. And add the fine tuning pots for external use.
I'd defin. be down with that.
would also add, that the wife left the house for a bit earlier.......so, you know what happens then........things get loud.
I'm still diggin the middle positions for both toggles on my V4.

kstrat62

Supporting Member
When you toggle through the high and low gain settings of the Gain Changer and the Direct Drive V4, you understand why Barber made the Dual Unltd and the DD/DC pedals...so you don’t have to choose low or high gain sounds to the detriment of the other...you get both.
I'm with you! I had a dual Unltd and stupidly sold it but I really think the GC in Unltd mode sounds better!

I got my V4 for Christmas and barely had time to try it out before needing to travel. I briefly compared it to a V2 set to low gain mode as I usually use the V2. I had to set the V2 on high harmonics mode to match the harmonics of the V4.

I set the V4 in low gain and in the “4 input” mode, using the mids in the right and left positions. I ran both the V4 and V2 in 18v which gives a less compressed and more amp like tone to me.

I was able to get a chimier tone with less mids from the V4. Overall I liked the V4 better. The V4 also seemed to have the bigger low end that the V3 has, which I also own.

More testing is required but I think the V4 hits the sweet spots for me for the amp like, harmonically rich, low to medium OD tone I like most, compared to either the V2 or 3.

I’m also planning to run the V2 or V3 into the V4 for higher gain applications to see how that works.

cam0122

The 1/2 Gainer is an LtD circuit. It doesn’t sound too much like the DD. But it has the mid Control like the GCX and can be tweaked to sound exactly like the LTD SR and the LTD v2. Plus you have the footswitch to go back and forth between two volume and gain settings. GREAT pedal.

So is the direct drive the one to get, or the 1/2 gainer?

SlyStrat

Supporting Member
Yes. Would've preferred a different look though, just to tell them apart.
The Violet Vibe alters the tone, especially when clicked on. It adds gain and darkens the OD tone. So both DD's are set up to sound great with vibe on. They arent gainy enough and are too bright set up as shown without the vibe.
I will figure out which one I prefer with the vibe then use other the DD set up fatter and gainier. My tone is vintage Trower.

Last edited:
Here are my compact DD's.

V2, V3, and V4

I played around with the set up seen below tonight for about an hour and a half, and I think this is what will be handling the gain on my board as I rebuild it. This will mainly be for a recording project btw. The V4 has the gain in the middle, in the ultra dynamic position, and mids on the right ("clear with strong fundamentals"), as I'm planning on doing stuff that needs foundational low to mid gain that has less accentuated mids and more transparency. The BUSS as set up sounds killer too, and stacks wonderfully into the V4 for a much thicker and higher gain tone. Both pedals are being run in 18volts, which I'm starting to get addicted too.

I'm digging that Barber gain for sure.

Tonight I used my Custom Shop Jazzmaster, which is pretty much my go to instrument at this point, and only played through my 100 watt Katana set on the clean channel at 0.5 watts, but it sounded killer!

Tomorrow I'll also try this pedal set up with my Tele (twisted tele pickups), Gretsch Black Falcon with Brian Setzer signatures, and two Les Pauls, and R7 and R4, looking forward to it.

Amps are typically a dual mono set up, sometimes stereo, with a Vintage Sound 15 and a Goodsell Super 17, but this will be my first
attempt at serious home recording and I have to figure out what I'm going to do...I think I'll probably mike the amps and hope the neighbors don't complain too much!

Last edited:

ranchofm

Here are my compact DD's.

V2, V3, and V4

I played around with the set up seen below tonight for about an hour and a half, and I think this is what will be handling the gain on my board as I rebuild it. This will mainly be for a recording project btw. The V4 has the gain in the middle, in the ultra dynamic position, and mids on the right ("clear with strong fundamentals"), as I'm planning on doing stuff that needs foundational low to mid gain that has less accentuated mids and more transparency. The BUSS as set up sounds killer too, and stacks wonderfully into the V4 for a much thicker and higher gain tone. Both pedals are being run in 18volts, which I'm starting to get addicted too.

I'm digging that Barber gain for sure.

Tonight I used my Custom Shop Jazzmaster, which is pretty much my go to instrument at this point, and only played through my 100 watt Katana set on the clean channel at 0.5 watts, but it sounded killer!

Tomorrow I'll also try this pedal set up with my Tele (twisted tele pickups), Gretsch Black Falcon with Brian Setzer signatures, and two Les Pauls, and R7 and R4, looking forward to it.

Amps are typically a dual mono set up, sometimes stereo, with a Vintage Sound 15 and a Goodsell Super 17, but this will be my first
attempt at serious home recording and I have to figure out what I'm going to do...I think I'll probably mike the amps and hope the neighbors don't complain too much!
Is there a seafoam V4, or did you re-house that?

chromewaves

...just to be clear, my green direct drive with the black plastic knobs - aka the CDD - is also the v2 circuit?

Trending Topics