Barber Direct Drive V3 is the real deal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cg, Oct 7, 2018.

1. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I have the same situation and put the black knobs on one to set it apart. Looks great with the gray.

CarpathianWhips and SlyStrat like this.
  2. ranchofm

ranchofm Member

Is there a seafoam V4, or did you re-house that?

3. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

...just to be clear, my green direct drive with the black plastic knobs - aka the CDD - is also the v2 circuit?

4. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

Likely, V4 came out months ago, if you purchased before then, it's likely v2.

5. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

How does the DD compare to a Tubescreamer? I'm looking for a new OD boost for my Marshall DSL that isnt a tubescreamer.

6. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

yup, it's an older one. and now I'm going to restrain myself from going back through this thread and reading about all the improvements that have been made since I got it...

David B likes this.
  7. CarpathianWhips

CarpathianWhips Member

Funny story: as an off hand comment I mentioned in the thread that I would likely not feel compelled to get a V4, since I had the V2 and V3, UNLESS it came in a color such as surf green or some such...well David Barber answered that it just so happened that he had ONE Surf Green V4 on his shelf...so I couldn't resist and bought it, and I'm super glad I did btw. David now thinks I'm a peeping Tom and will henceforth keep the blinds to his shop closed.

David B, stratohiker and ranchofm like this.
  8. CarpathianWhips

CarpathianWhips Member

Edited: sorry I hadn't finished my post and somehow I posted!

I have a V2, V3 and V4 and I think that unless your rig makes you wish you had more bottom end when you kick your V2 on, the V2 is still totally amazing and a very hard to beat MIAB pedal. I actually prefer the V2 to the V3 with my R7 and R4, and even with my Fenders when I want a lighter to medium overdrive, as the V2 seems to have a bit more high end and presence that I like having available. The V3 has more low end and a creamier top, and the V4 keeps the low end but restores most, if not all, of the V2 top end, and I prefer that higher amount of top end for my particular set up and taste. I do have to say that the V4 is more versatile, and in some ways the V4 achieves many tonal sweet spots, at least for me, especially since you can also set it for a more transparent less mids rich tone.

However the V2 has a low and high harmonics switch, which the V4 doesn't have, and I actually use the V2 in low harmonics mode quite a lot. So I'll still be keeping the V2 for sure...and I'll probably be keeping my V3 for my thinner more percussive single coil guitars for when I want to rock out some high gain with them.

Well I was trying to make you feel better about not "upgrading" but I probably confused the $hit out of the issue! So Sorry!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    SlyStrat and BFC like this.
  9. chromewaves

chromewaves Member

actually I was mostly only kidding but your notes definitely helped - I don't need more low end from it at all, and wouldn't want to lose any high end so maybe the v2 EQ is for me. Plus I really like the harmonics switch... okay! thanks!

CarpathianWhips likes this.
  10. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

No worries, it's not a tube screamer circuit, but I'll let the other make their sound comparisons.

jpagey and Doomrider78 like this.
  11. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

It doesn’t compare. The pedals are in two different leagues.

The Compact Direct Drive (I have v4) is a versatile British drive pedal.

stratohiker likes this.
  12. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Thanks, and I appreciate that. My question was really related to how they work as a boost: do they boost certain frequencies, or are they fairly flat etc? As I've only ever owned a TS, it's my only frame of reference at this point.

13. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I have all three as well and that’s a great write up. Very nice.

CarpathianWhips likes this.
  14. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I use a DDSS to boost my Marshall 2204 into "Classic" Metal territory. That pedal has such an aggressive, angry midrange when paired with my Marshall it's amazing. Doesn't sound like a TS either, not as compressed, more open and aggressive with a wider midrange hump. It sounds awesome, been my main OD since I got it in 2003, will never part with it!

15. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

You might take a look at the Barber Gain Changer for a fairly flat boost to push the amp further. It excels at that.

16. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Came here to suggest this as well.

The CDD is great, but I don't know if it would be a good boost. It has a strong personality, the GC is more flexible IMO

jpagey likes this.
  17. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

jamester and CarpathianWhips like this.
  18. CarpathianWhips

CarpathianWhips Member

I agree with a GC to use as a boost. I have a GC SR which does boost and light OD super well, and can be set with a flat EQ via a switch. One of my fave pedals for sure.

jpagey likes this.
  19. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Nothing like it. To me a TS gives half the tone the Barber DDC gives.
    For me it gives authentic amp overdrive tone.

20. SuperunknownH.

SuperunknownH. Member

Hi,

After reading so many good things about DD, I have a question or two.
    I use OCD v1.3 as my main drive. Better term would be always on pedal that I boost with other drives to get the tone I want -> Skreddy screwdriver + OCDv1.3 is a thing to beat. At least in my living room. :)
    So, I wanted to check what else is out there (just because) and found a lot of praise about Barber pedals and DD -> I've noticed Barber 10 years ago, but since I'm in europe it does not appear on used market and new price + shipping + 25% VAT is a bit too much for a drive pedal I've never tried. Sorry, just letting it all out. :)
    So, is DD usable in my setup? Can I use it as a low gain always on and then hit it with Screwdriver and Fuzzface (JHF1) to get that melting fuzz tone withouth nasty highs...?
    For that it should be highly dynamic as OCD is (at least v1.3 - dont know about later iterations).

Thanks!