Barber Direct Drive Versions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by padavis, May 21, 2015.

1. padavis

padavis Member

WHATS UP?!

Hey, you know how there are a few different prints on the older style Direct Drives? Are there any real differences between the different looks?

2. drod2045

drod2045 Member

i am not a pro in all the versions, but between the regular DD and the DDSS (which I have) there are additional internal trim-pots on the SS that allow you to tweak the sound/EQ more. The core sound is the same, just additional functionality/sculpting abilities.

3. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

The one with white knobs is the DD Low Gain..

4. Hcklr

Hcklr Supporting Member

I have 5 Direct Drives and every single one sounds different to me. They're all definitely in the same flavor but they all have different levels of gain. The highest gain (and my personal favorite) is the standard Compact Direct Drive.

padavis likes this.
  5. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

We have made a bunch of different versions of the Direct Drive, all customer inspired. The first DD had actual hand writing and had no internal trim pots, then came internal bass, then harmonics, then presence, then the SS with all the trims, then another SS with note-shape added, then the DD LG with grey knobs. The DD graphic with the rectangle was the last version of the DD and DD LG, it had bass and presence trim pots...trim pots are awesome, tell the world we need to bring trim-pots back! :)

padavis likes this.
  6. padavis

padavis Member

Mr. Barber... Awesome! Thanks for giving it to us straight! Can't get any better than this, can it folks?! I love TGP!

7. padavis

padavis Member

I might have to try a new one to see how it compares.
    I'll post another update when my new i think old one gets here.

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

My big box DD is pretty freakin' awesome. I've never opened it up - been too busy playing through it =).

9. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

I like the big pedals, Mr. Barber. Prefer them. I like the heft, I like the spacing and size of the knobs, I like batteries and, yes, I like trim pots.

Bobbyoso likes this.
  10. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

DD Low Gain = my fav. Such a great sounding low-gainer. And to David B's point - don't miss out on the trimmers! Love the presence trim in tandem with the tone knob.

11. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I have the older one without any trim pots and it's my favorite od. Great with my strat and vibrolux.

12. padavis

padavis Member

My new old Direct Drive got here yesterday. Its older with no box, just writing. Its different sounding than the box one I had before and now I'm probably going to have to start a Direct Drive collection like Hcklr... It's just the pedal that works...

Hcklr likes this.