Barber Direct Drive Vs. Crunch Box - differences?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Feb 15, 2008.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

These are apparently both Marshall Voiced pedals. I just got a crunch box. Has anybody compared it to a direct drive? What are the differences. The crunch box definitely nails the marshall sound, but even on low settings is pretty high gain.

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The direct drive is cool too, but definitely has less gain. It seems to have a little more mids going on and is a little looser in feel. More open sounding...

The Crunchbox has that really tight gain that hits you in the chest. More gain, smoother, more compression.

I could actually see having both if you wanted 2 flavors of Marshall on your pedalboard. I was impressed with both pedals.

3. princeton

princeton Member

I have both, the DD has less gain then the Crunchbox.
    In a live situation the DD has enough gain for a medium rock sound.
    I found out that the DD really shines in a live situation and it feels like part of the amp (I use Fender SF DR and a Princeton Reverb II)
    If you play high notes (above 12 freth) the crunchbox sound thinner than the DD.

It depends on the situation and both pedals have their own charm !

4. 89strat

89strat Member

Cool!

Anybody else have opinions on these?

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I didn't like the CB for a live gig or practice. It seems more of a bedroom pedal with all that gain and fizz. And just the opposite for the DD. I need a pedal that plays live well rather than the bedroom. Although the CB can out gain the DD, the DD has a richer, more saturated, amp like feel and has enough gain to feedback. If you get the mod board on the DD it is quite the pedal. With a bit more gain it easily booted the CB.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

All of these types of comments are totally dependent on what amp and guitars you're using. So this may be true on his rig, to his ears, but I certainly don't hear any trebly fizz thru my Mesa 5:50, closed cab and Gibson, Gretsch, Fender and Epiphone guitars. The Crunchbox excels at gig levels on my rig :dude

And about gain levels - the CB is a high gain distortion pedal. If you don't want med to high gain don't use it.

7. mikeller

mikeller Member

Yeah - I have both on my board as well. No way to compare the two. And the Chrunchbox excels in gig situations on mine as well.

8. 89strat

89strat Member

I tried out the crunch box at practice yesterday, full band. I play through a deluxe reverb and a les paul, we have two guitarists, bassist, and a drummer and do mostly classic rock covers, zep, foo fighters, some pop stuff, killers, typical bar stuff. I found myself getting lost in the mix at times. And at times, for the lighter parts I tend to use my guitar volume to control the amount of gain, but this doesn't seem to be that effective on the crunch box. I'm able to do this pretty well with the Rat but I like trying different pedals once in a while.

I gotta agree with Plan-x on this one. It is an outstanding sounding pedal for that higher gain marshall tone, but it just really didn't do it for me with the full band mix. The last time we played, I was using an OCD V3 which seemed to sit in the mix better. But my issue with the OCD is that it doesn't have the singing midrange for leads that the crunch box has. I think the crunch box just might be too much gain for what I need. If it would clean up better, for me, I think I would like it more.

9. Pags

Pags Supporting Member

That's exactly the issue that I ran into when using the crunchbox, too much gain for me to handle and it did not clean up well. It's a great marshall-in-a-box, that's for sure. I ended up with a Barber DD, less gain, looser, cleans up well and has a more usable gain range.

10. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Yeah, the DD ended up being my main high gain pedal. Threw a mod board on it to squeeze out a little more gain and Whoa! Cuts like a knife, but can sit in the mix as well, touch sensitive. Barber pedals are designed to sound better at stage vol. You could call him a genius for that.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

DD more JTM 45. CB more JCM 800.