Barber Direct Drive vs DD Low Gain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DavidRay, Feb 17, 2012.

1. DavidRay

DavidRay Member

Hey everyone! The other day at a music shop I played a Direct Drive LG through a Vox AC4 and thought it was really sweet, especially with the gain maxed (or near maxed). I was just wondering how different the regular DD was from the LG version. Is there a huge change in character, or just the amount of gain on tap?
    A little more gain would be sweet, but I wouldn't want extra gain if it meant more mids/tubescreamer type character, or fizzy top end. I dug the general sound of the DD LG.

So, is it a completely different pedal, or just more gain?
    Thanks!
    David.

2. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

I've had both of them, just not at the same time. I currently have the DDLG and it does have a sweetness to it! The Custom SS is awesome, but I found there were too many good tones in it and was constantly tweaking it. I would say the gain character is pretty close.

3. DavidRay

DavidRay Member

Exactly! The sweet top end and smooth bottom sounded great. And it didn't have an obnoxious mid range, imo.

Sweet! So, it's pretty much the same with more gain?
    That makes me happy. I'm thinking an LTD SR + Direct Drive would be a great combo.
    Why'd you get rid of the DDSS instead of the LG?

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

you may want to check out the mod board however you choose so you can filter out the fizz and change the character.

5. strat56

strat56 Supporting Member

I have both on my board.

The DD has more gain but it's not as transparent as the DDLG. The DD is not fizzy and to my ears it just fattens the sound a little. I have the DDLG first in the chain and will occasionally run them both at the same time, sounds great on some songs.

I keep them both set the same, volume at 11 o'clock, tone at noon, gain at 11 o'clock, tone knob pulled up for additional harmonics and I haven't adjusted the internal trim pots at all. They work for me playing a variety of music, country, classic rock, blues, top 40.

Haven't had any desire to put anything else on my board for a long time.

6. DavidRay

DavidRay Member

pacomc79: What's the mod board?

Interesting! Sounds like the DD isn't too far differently.
    Do any of you run the Direct Drive (Lg or standard) with the LTD (sr or standard)?

7. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I think both of these next to each other separately (not so much "stacked" but I seem to have 'stacking issues' anyhow) just sound great.

I own the DD and my buddy has an LTD (regular model) and once in a while I borrow his LTD to "sub" for my lower gain OD I usually use, just for kicks.

I just love the sound of a clean Fender amp and feel like the LTD is great (perhaps the best) at just giving me more of that sound, more detail and with a little bit of breakup (I don't like the Drive on an LTD past 1:00 or so as I feel it loses its mojo). The I will kick in a DD at a medium gain (say NOON ) OD that leaves my low end alone. Just good R&R grind and sustain, that still keeps my guitar> amp tone in the foreground. I play old R&R/R&B/Blues stuff, so prefer to NOT use the "Harmonics" control on the DD as I feel this preseves the fundamental note/chords better... BUt I love these 2 pedals.

8. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

How close Gain wise is the DD LG to the Barber LTD?
    So the DD LG has more gain than a LTD but less the the standard DD ?
    I have the LTD and love it!
    I also had a DD but felt it wasnt as open or cut as well as the LTD does so I sold it(still was a great pedal just not sidebyside with the LTD imo)

9. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

To answer that last question; the DDSS is a great pedal and sounded very good for rythym stuff for me, but I wanted something with more harmonics for leads(Pinnacle Dlx) I prob should have kept it, but I move things if they get bumped! The DDLG is a killer rythym pedal for me.

10. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

^^^ I'm curious about this too, and to make this even more frustrating (in a good way) Barber makes the Dual unLimiTeD, which (like in the same layout of the Half-Gainer, which is two identical LTD channels sharing common Tone/mid controls) is a two-channel, higher Gain version of an LTD

** I know that David B has commented before that a DD LG is different from an LTD, that they are different Gain/EQ designs...

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

http://www.barberelectronics.com/MOD_PCB.html

12. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

The DDLG is less compressed, much more clear, and when the gain is maxed, it sounds like an NMV amp cranked and breaking up. There is no way I could ever get a DD to sound like it. The DD sounds congested compared to the LG. I've got one(DDLG) in the emporium. Why, eh....done all the Barbers and it's time to move on. The DDLG is one of the good ones though. Even sounds great through my bass rig. It's very transparent.

13. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I just bought plan x's DD LG. When I get it, I can do a comparison between it and my Super Sport and also my LTD.

14. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

I've got the LTDv2, Direct Drive and Half Gainer. Love all of them.

I currently have the LTD and DD on my board and am SO happy with the variety of tones I can get out of them (and they stack so nicely!). For a while I was just using my DD at home for kicks, and thought is was a "decent" overdrive, then the other day I set up at church at our regular live volume, and was blown away at how nice it sounded - so full and harmonically rich, without being harsh or nasal.

15. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

Yes please do ! I am interested in the differences in sound between those 3 pedals.