Barber Direct Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mude, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

Matt M. turned me on to the new version of this pedal. Very cool.

Simple, natural and covers a fair bit of ground. Really a bargain for the price IMO. Worth checking out if you are looking for an OD box.

Evan.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've been using mine now for close to a month with excellent results, So far I like this best through my 59 Bassman RI...... Definitely my favorite Hot Rodded Marshall in a Box!

If you want a lower gain pedal to go with the DD I just paired it up with the Barber Silver LTD....another great combo of dirt!

3. mude

mude Supporting Member

I have not played the LTD, but Barber seems to make great stuff in general and reasonably priced. I used to have a Tone Press as well that was a good little pedal.

I have a Tim the tends to cover my lower gain stuff at this point and pairs well with the DD. I am still new with the DD (have had the Tim for years), but it should looks like a winner.

Evan.

4. theHoss

theHoss Member

Do you put your tim before or after the DD?

5. Robboman

Robboman Member

+1 me too! People can't believe all that huge, harmonically rich gain is coming from that little tweed combo. Looks like a Blues amp, but that sound is pure Rock and Roll!

I know a few players who believe they absolutely need a high-gain amp or channel switching amp with a gain channel, because the overdrive/distortion has to come "from the amp", and not from a mere stompbox. I think those guys have only ever tried Boss DS and TS-x types of pedals.

I have an older version of the Tone Pump too, and it's also great. I use it for lower gain thick lead tone and the DD for higher gain, sometimes combined with my TS to really scream.

6. jlagrassa

yeah a buddy of mine keeps saying the same thing when I play through the Bassman at clubs, He says it sounds bigger than his Marshall stack:D

7. cheesey

cheesey Member

this sounds like what i need to go with my clark gainster and tim . i have half a bassman(59 super) and it'is a sweet amp to gig with .
    so if i order a direct drive from barber will i automatically get the new version or do i have to ask for one.
    i want one for my gig next weekend , just got to get around the wife
    :dude

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

I currently have the Tim in front of the DD. Sounds good with both of them running for certain things. I prefered it this way, but tastes could change of course.

I think you automatically get the "new" one at this point. Not much difference in new and used price frankly and a bargain either way IMO.

Also, I have not noodled around with the internal trimmer, but Matt says that there is even more to be found if I want to go there. That being said, I am generally a plug and play guy and don't like to have to go inside. Plenty for me without opening it up, but I may have to give it a try at some point.

Evan.

9. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

You can also get the Direct Drive (and LTD I think) with an add on PCB for even more adjustments...

[​IMG]

10. jlagrassa

Go to The Perfect Note Website below and email Bob, He will take care of you.
    The Perfect Note

11. jlagrassa

I'm definitely going to order another DD with the add on board in the near future, Just ordered the Tone Press and cant wait to add that to my board!

12. Improviser

Improviser Supporting Member

Brian,

Thanks for sharing, certainly looks very interesting.

Could you please give us a run-down on what each of the controls does with the add-on PCB, the differences in sounds available compared to the standard model, and the cost and availability (I take it this is a special-order through Barber Electronics...???) of this pedal.

Thanks in advance

Geoff

13. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Check out the Barber forum hosted by one of his top dealers, The Perfect Note. You can order the pedal through them or direct from Barber and I think each one can be customized to your needs.

Here is the main forum link...

The Barber Shop

And here are a couple of threads addressing the mod board...

Features and pricing

Customer impressions

14. radicool

radicool Member

I've been using one for a few months now, and I find that I really like it a lot. Like most of us, I have a bunch of OD pedals that I rotate on and off of the pedal board, but I've been just stepping on the Direct Drive first lately. More often than not, that seems to end the tone search on whatever tune I'm trying to play.