Barber Direct Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratoquack, Mar 1, 2015.

1. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

The switch on my beloved BB Preamp crapped out and Xotic has changed the size of the switch so it's going to be a hassle to replace (for me at least).
    So...I went to Atlanta Discount Music and Jimmy and the boys lined up a few replacement candidates for me to try. I went with the Barber Direct Drive. I used it on a gig last night and I absolutely LOVE it! What a great pedal. It's voiced similar to the BB but has a lot more useable gain on tap. I'm pushing the drive side of my Mesa Lonestar with it and it sings. I also used it last night as a stand alone on the clean channel and it sounds fantastic. I used an EP Booster when it was time for a lead and holy crap, it's HUGE sounding!

Anyway, I just wanted to shout out to Barber for a killer pedal and Atlanta Discount for being so damn good at what they do. Both are highly recommended!

2. Zalu

Zalu Supporting Member

Barber's stuff is awesome... I've had a few versions of the DD and they all were great! The bonus is that you can find them for very reasonable prices, new and used.

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

is it the older version DD? either way great pedal and enjoy. I use the Compact Direct Drive which is based on a few of the DD versions all in one pedal, this one rocks.

4. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

I've never been let down by a Barber...

Well, except the kind with a chair!

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Barber really has an ear for what works live. The Xotic BB is worth fixing as well.. The Active EQ on the RC, AC, and BB is worth having, especially if the player uses guitars of various types through the same rig.
    I prefer the creamy drive of the big box Direct Drive compared to the more articulate compact DD.. But there certainly are more varieties of tones int he compact due to the switch options.

6. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

My old Direct Drive is my go to along with the king of tone for really clean amps.

7. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I'll never sell my old Direct Drive. All those internal trim pots are where it's at!

8. stratoquack

I got the compact version. I've never played the old one so cant compare the two.
    As far as fixing my BB....I'll definitely have it done. I love that pedal. It's just not an "emergency" anymore ;-)

9. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

Great store!

10. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

I have the Gain Changer and really like it, I understand that the Direct Drive has more of a Marshall voicing but are they different enough to warrant having both? My amp is pretty clean by the way.

11. dburns

dburns Member

Yes, they're different enough to warrant both.

12. Cottage

Cottage Member

Ive had a DD for about a dozen years. Love It. With a DRRI or an AC30, its a thing of beauty! Always on.

13. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

booster before or after ?

14. jeancoltrane

jeancoltrane Member

the direct drive low gain has been my only od for atleast 8 years...its marshall tone is really really good for boosting fuzz too. mine is beat to hell and even survived a flood.

15. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

The new switch is easy to put in, but the battery won't fit anymore.

16. stratoquack

EP Boost after it

17. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I bought one of the original Barber DD SS, used it on countless gigs and practices. Switch eventually went bad, sent it Bach to barber and they fixed it for free. Stand up folks.
    Depending on the band it comes off and goes on. Will never sell it either.

18. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Atlanta Discount Music is awesome

Barber is awesome

that is all.

19. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Yes, I have more Barber overdrive pedals than I know what to do with! My favs are definitely the LTD-SR (one of the precursors to the Gain Changer) and the Super Sport Direct Drive.
    Occasionally, I get swayed away into using other overdrives and then I come to my senses and realize that those two drive pedals just have "it" for my ear.

20. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Definitely different enough. I'd say the GC lends itself more toward rhythm and the DDC to leads. But then stack them together and....holy crap, it's good!