Barber Dirty Bomb Distortion Demos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibobunot, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

2. acwild

acwild Member

Thanks for the links! Sounds great and priced to buy. I'm in!:drool

3. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Just got mine today. Haven't had time to really put it through its paces, but sounds great right out of the box. Has an internal bass trim to adjust to your amp's voice. I bought mine straight from Barber. Thought I'd give him the full markup rather than someone else.
    [​IMG]

4. Morningstaru

Morningstaru Member

thanks for the heads up...been looking for a decent demo of the dirty bomb

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Thanks for the links. I took the plunge and got one on its way. Its going to be a shootout at my house between the dirty Bomo, MI audio crunchbox, and Hermida Distortion. Only 2 will survive...

6. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Seeing that I have been on the fence about the Hermida, I think I'll wait to see how the Bomb stacks up. I'm still looking for that perfect distortion pedal for rhythm!

I just ordered a Direct Drive SS this weekend after hearing the PGS clip, so it may do the job as well.

7. Drifting

Drifting Member

PGS has really stepped up their clips with the DDSS and the Dirty Bomb.

I think it's because they don't use the Soho anymore. 65 amps kick ass on their own, but EL84's are more finnicky in general with pedals.

The videos are FAR less compressed now too. PGS says it's youtube, but even on their site they didn't sound this thick.

Good stuff. Dirty Bomb is REALLY tempting at 100 buckaroos....

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I don't know, their videos just don't sound as appealing to me now that they use the Fender. I liked the Soho much better...

9. Zero G

Zero G Member

Didn't really dig that PGS vid of the Dirty Bomb. Sounded kinda harsh IMO.

10. Drifting

Drifting Member

Really?

At least for the strat with me it had too much sparkle to meld well with pedals, for me at least.

Can't speak for the humbuckers though.

11. Drifting

Drifting Member

It is a high gain distortion, but I am a newbie to higher gain pedals, so that could be the gain that is exciting me more than the sound.

I am very happy with my other Barber Pedals though.

12. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

In on this thread: I've had a DB for about 2 weeks now and I will say it sounds kick arse in front of a Egnater Rebel 20. I set the Rebel up for good cleans then hit the DB for overdrive/distortion. I couldn't run it in the loop though because it was way too noisy.

13. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

You may be right. I am not a single coil type of guy so I just tend to just "move along" when they do demos with strats. I like their demos with the Les Paul because it has the same pickups I have.

To me it sounds as though the Fender amps are too bright and make all distortions sound a bit too grainy. But then again, I don't really think Fender amps are meant to be used for high gain applications. The SOHO had a bit of a darker flavour that sounded more interesting to my ears. But that is just me :)

14. Drifting

Drifting Member

Well that makes a lot more sense, most or all of the demos I've seen for the pedals are played through strats :jo What pickups are you running anyways?

I would love to have a Soho though, any 65 amp actually. That one amp can do so many sounds from what I have seen and heard.

I will stick by my saying that the videos sound less compressed or squashed though.

15. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

I never like the "Les Paul" part of the demo I'm always waiting for the little bit
    of Tele/Strat at the end... :BITCH

16. Drifting

Drifting Member

I don't think they mentioned it in this vid. but by vote I believe they moved to a DRRI.

The DRRI do sound a little shrill w/o a speaker change.

I'd way prefer a Soho, but not for pedal demoing.

17. Zero G

Zero G Member

Why would you run a distortion pedal in the fx loop to begin with?

18. Drifting

Drifting Member

I couldn't say, but that bright cap would kill any pedal, you'd have to ask the PGS people. I doubt they'd have the bright cap on for a pedal demo, but you never know.

19. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I thought the Dirty Bomb sounds pretty good into the DRRI but never cared for pedals in the DRRI with a bright cap still in but Daves pedals seem to still work well no matter what amp is used, I've been using the newest Custom Super Sport and that pedal just flat out rocks it gets plenty heavy for what I'm doing!

20. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Obviously the amp and guitar make a huge difference in how the pedal will sound. Any amp with a bright cap has not taken pedals well I have noticed. On the 3 amps I will be using to demo the pedals (don't expect any clips, sorry) non have a bright cap, if they did I clipped it or have it switched off. The 3 amps are '60 Fender Brown super through Weber 12F150, '69 Fender Bandmaster Reverb through 2 Weber 12A125A's, and a '66 Vox AC50 (currently getting recapped).