1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Barber Electronics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eoengineer, Jun 27, 2019.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah I regretted selling both DD/DC's because of the LG side.

2. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I still have the dd/dc and the DDLG (along with the standard DD and all the compacts v2, v3, and v4). The low gain side of all them is magic. The DD/DC is VERY versatile because you can switch between them with no volume problems. The v4 compact has the 4-hole setting. Great pedals.

jpagey and David B like this.
  3. krik

krik Member

For people who have used different versions of the Direct Drive with different types of amps:

Have you discovered that you like any of them better into a Marshall versus a Fender type amp?

4. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have the Super Sport, Gain Changer, Compact Direct Drive, 2 Burn Units (one with an effects loop), 2 Launch Pads (older and newer versions), Tone Pump, Tone Press, Trifecta, Half Gainer, Small Fry, Barb EQ, Linden, and 2 Dirty Bombs. And I have Barber’s version of the Clark Gainster.

The pedals I have multiples of (Launch Pads, Burn Units, and Dirty Bombs) are split between two different countries- one set I keep in the U.S. and the other in my overseas pad.

The only other brands that I have large collections of are Jack Deville/Mr. Black/Friday Club/Black LTD and Lovepedal/Hermida. Quite a lot of Catalinbreads also, but stopped buying them when Howard and company parted ways.

If David Barber made delay, reverb, or modulation pedals, I would have even more Barbers, but he’s said in the past that he has no intention of pursuing those lines of pedals.

Yes, I am a Barber fanboi!

jpagey, David B and Jim Marciano like this.
  5. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

Reverb, delay and modulation are "marked safe" from Barber branding. :D

6. roquero

How am I going to expand my Barber collection then?

How about some new fuzz pedals?

Jim Marciano likes this.
  7. sstweed

I’m really want to get a Linden soon.

David B likes this.
  8. annostyle

annostyle Member

Still nothing but praise for Barber from me. After watching the latest YouTube interviews, what a good guy who genuinely knows his stuff and has a great ear for tone. Glad to support a builder like him.

9. monstermike

monstermike Member

I need to get Barber stickers to put on my Flint and my tuner so I can have an all Barber board.

David B and Jim Marciano like this.
  10. sstweed

I finally got a Linden today! Very cool pedal.

David B and Jim Marciano like this.
  11. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

Picked up a LTD silver couple days ago. Nice pedal and very open sounding and low compression compared to my DDLG.
    Another awesome drive from Barber.

David B likes this.
  12. Electric I

Electric I Member

Dug out a bunch of pedals from storage recently, one of them being an older version Direct Drive. Why it was ever put aside is beyond me. Great pedal & is now the go-to on a new board I'm putting together.

Oh - how does the Direct Drive compare to the Gain Changer exactly ?

David B likes this.
  13. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

I don't know if anyone has posted specific names of Barber pedals for specific amp models, but here goes.
    I love my Orange Dark Terror and it's gain characteristics (4 stages of gain) and I'm wondering which of the Barber OD/Distortion pedal’s would best suit it? Not an easy question to answer, but the Boss DS-1 that I've tried in front of this Orange does a decent job; that is if it's employed as “clean boost” and not in it's standard distortion pedal mode, but there is a noticeable absence of lows.

I'm looking for something that does NOT cover up the Orange gain per say, but can act like almost a 2nd channel to this one-channel amp, yet still make it recognizable as “Orange”.

classicplayer

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  14. sstweed

Depends on exactly how much you’re asking the pedal to do. I’d start with the Gain Changer SR. In SR mode it’s very neutral. So it will just drive your amp harder. The GC has two more modes with more tonal coloration that may work for you. Very versatile.

there are other options as you start going up in gain. The next step would be the DD v4. Also very versatile (and has a lovely low gain side) and compared to other drive pedals still fairly neutral. Pleasing certainly.

if you don’t need gain from the pedal and just need something to push the amp to a higher level, the Linden is very cool on guitar and you could score an older Barb EQ until Dave comes out with the compact version. Both have a ton of EQ options and give your amp lots of new subtly tweaked tones. Both can be set very neutral also. Lots of options and none of them are bad. Be prepared to try them all. That’s what I did!

ThinPaperWings and classicplayer like this.
  15. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

Gain Changer fan here. Such a versatile and great sounding pedal. :cool:

16. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

I have a "regular" GC. Do I "need" a GC SR? Are the differences that pronounced?

17. BrightCanon

BrightCanon Member

I gave my regular GC away to a young buck that I wanted to encourage playing and bought SR. Didn’t really like the SR at all with my teles. Sounded fizzy. Ended up selling the SR.

I absolutely loved the regular version and have missed it ever since.

Mick_Braun likes this.
  18. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

To add to that, they are pretty close side to side, I've had many people get the SR and then say "no difference at all" with their rig. My take, certainly the same ballpark, depending on the EQ mode you use, it could be more or less disparate.

BrightCanon likes this.
  19. roquero

You might want to try the Launch Pad.

It’s great to push an already cooking amp.

I like it so much that I have two of them (the original and the relaunched version- pun intended).

The Launch Pad is the most underrated of Dave’s pedals!

20. sstweed

Dave’s right. There’s not much difference. The regular seems slightly looser in texture. If you’ve ever had a Barber with the “note shape” trimmer, it’s like it’s set slightly different on the original vs the SR. Both versions have an SR setting, but supposedly the SR setting on the SR version is slightly closer. Believe it or not I have an original LTD SR and I can’t remember ever comparing them. I’m sure I did at one point. Just don’t remember. At any rate, on my rig there is a slight difference in the two gain changer versions but it’s more texture than tone. The SR might be a tad flatter.

ThinPaperWings likes this.